SS brewing kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Evan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
383
Reaction score
1
i currently do extract brewing, i boil about 2.5 gal for 5 gal batch. i'm going to be buying a buner to do full boils and a year from now get into all grain brewing. i'd like to use my new kettle for both full boils and all grain, would a 7.5 to 8 gal kettle be enough for 5 gal batches still? are there advanages to getting ones with spigots? would the spigot help when moving to all grain?


thanks in advance
 

abracadabra

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,923
Reaction score
10
Location
Newnan
If you plan on going AG a 9 gal. pot will be a lot easier on you. In many cases you'll start out with 6-6.5 gal and boil down to 5-5.5 gal.

While boiling 6 gal. in a 8 gal. pot is doable you will have to watch it like a hawk. Boil overs especially inside the house are a real mess.

A spigot makes things a lot easier on you rather than trying to pour 5 gal. it's so much easier to just open a ball valve there is almost no comparison between the 2.
 

jayhoz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
abracadabra said:
If you plan on going AG a 9 gal. pot will be a lot easier on you. In many cases you'll start out with 6-6.5 gal and boil down to 5-5.5 gal.

While boiling 6 gal. in a 8 gal. pot is doable you will have to watch it like a hawk. Boil overs especially inside the house are a real mess.

A spigot makes things a lot easier on you rather than trying to pour 5 gal. it's so much easier to just open a ball valve there is almost no comparison between the 2.
I typically do 7.5 to 8 gallon boils to get down to 6 gallons in the kettle and 5.5 gallons into the fermenter.

If you go with anything smaller than 9 gallons you will be sorry. I have an 11 gallon and am quite happy with it.
 
OP
Evan

Evan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
383
Reaction score
1
Evan! said:
Time for a new handle, bruthah.
haha sorry, its my name, as i'm sure its yours too. i had no idea there was an Evan!.
 

abracadabra

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,923
Reaction score
10
Location
Newnan
jayhoz said:
I typically do 7.5 to 8 gallon boils to get down to 6 gallons in the kettle and 5.5 gallons into the fermenter.

If you go with anything smaller than 9 gallons you will be sorry. I have an 11 gallon and am quite happy with it.

I do to. And I completely agree. 9 gal. is a minimum for something you won't be unhappy with.

10 or 11 gal. would be better.

15 gal. minimum if you think you might ever do a 10 gal. batch.

I think your screen name is just fine I knew instantly you were not Evan!
 

Professor Frink

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
3,100
Reaction score
31
Location
Beacon, NY
Evan said:
haha sorry, its my name, as i'm sure its yours too. i had no idea there was an Evan!.
Evan is becoming the most common name on this board. If you can get a keggle, that's always a great option, otherwise, I'd say the bigger the kettle the better.

/Evan
 

freyguy

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
3
Location
Middletown, DE
Yeah, mine is 9, and I wish it was 10. I normally have to start out at 7gal to boil down to 5. I boil pretty aggresively I suppose. And you can always add a spigot later, but they are great to have. When you have to cool 5gal, it's kinda hard, so I use a counterflow wort chiller fed by the spigot. Works great. Then the only problem was hops clogging it. So I bought a Hop Stopper for the pot that connects to the spigot on the inside of the kettle. Great setup that I reccomend to anybody.
 
OP
Evan

Evan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
383
Reaction score
1
freyguy said:
Yeah, mine is 9, and I wish it was 10. I normally have to start out at 7gal to boil down to 5. I boil pretty aggresively I suppose. And you can always add a spigot later, but they are great to have. When you have to cool 5gal, it's kinda hard, so I use a counterflow wort chiller fed by the spigot. Works great. Then the only problem was hops clogging it. So I bought a Hop Stopper for the pot that connects to the spigot on the inside of the kettle. Great setup that I reccomend to anybody.
where did you buy the hop stopper, i've never seen one.
 
Top