SS Braid Floating in MLT - Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvcorliss

Reaction score
I'm using both 5 gal and 10 gal Igloo coolers as my MLT for small and larger batches. I use a SS braid to "filter" the wort. The last time I used the 10 gal cooler I noticed the braid floating up into the grain instead of lying on the bottom when I stirred in the grain. On that batch I got a really crappy mash efficiency, but I blamed it on something else. Today the same thing happened with my 5 gal cooler. I'm mashing right now so I don't know what my eff. will be but I was wondering if this is going to be a problem and should I spend the $$ and get a (much stiffer) bazooka screen.

Oh, I'm batch sparging so channelling should not be a problem, right?

Any thoughts?

If the braid isn't flat on the bottom of the cooler when you drain your wort, you won't be able to maintain a siphon past the point where the top of the braid is uncovered (or the level of your outlet, whichever is lower) as the liquid drains out, so you won't be able to drain as much wort. You'll leave more liquid and more sugars behind due to the increased deadspace, so lower efficiency.

Get a fat chunk of stainless (a bolt, threaded pipe plug, etc) and a stainless hose clamp and attach it to the end of the braid as a weight.

Back