SRM help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
I brewed an English bitter/ special bitter, and it came out way darker than expected. I used marris otter as the base malt. And only about 2 oz of chocolate malt for color in a 5 gallon batch. It also used demara sugar. Any thoughts on what would have caused the darkness? I didn't think that the ingredients would be that dark as to cause the shift. And beersmith estimated it to be pretty middle of the road.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Are you going by what it looks like in your fermenter or what the finished beer looks like in a glass? It will always appear darker when looking at a large volume.

Finished beer in glass. I can't at the moment. Quiet day at work, lol. Bottled, and I have been enjoying it. It tastes good, just dark , real dark almost black.

I brewed an English bitter/ special bitter, and it came out way darker than expected. I used marris otter as the base malt. And only about 2 oz of chocolate malt for color in a 5 gallon batch. It also used demara sugar. Any thoughts on what would have caused the darkness? I didn't think that the ingredients would be that dark as to cause the shift. And beersmith estimated it to be pretty middle of the road.

Without a better description of the color or, even better, a picture it's very difficult to give a firm answer. Also it would be extremely helpful to know the entire recipe, like other malts (crystal) and boil time. IMO two ounces of chocolate in a five gallon beer is a significant amount. Enough to possibly push to the edge of light brown depending on other factors.

8.5# MO
1# caramalt
1.7oz choc malt.
.75# dememara sugar (@ flameout)

I'll have to get a pic tonight.

Back