SRM darker than planned! Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
I made a pale ale today and the SRM came out darker than the brewing software had calculated - this is the second time this has happened.

The grain bill, for 4 gallons (UK), was:

- Pale malt (Maris Otter) 4.5kg (84.91%)
- Crystal 0.3kg (5.66%)
- Vienna 0.5kg (9.43%)

The estimated SRM was 9.8, though has turned out closer to about 16. What made this happen?

Also, the estimated OG was 1.058 (@ 70% efficiency), though the beer ended up at 1.066. I adjusted the efficiency in the brewing software to hit 1.066, and it was 91%. Could this have affected the colour?

In my experience the SRM estimation provided by brewing software is pretty worthless. I wouldn't worry about it...

I suspect that the crystal malt you entered in Beersmith and the crystal malt you actually used may have been very different in color. What L crystal did you use, and what did you enter in Beersmith?

Maris otter has an SRM of about 4 while Vienna is about 3.5 so the darkness isn't from the basemalt!

In my experience the SRM estimation provided by brewing software is pretty worthless. I wouldn't worry about it...

This...its talked about in Radical Brewing. At least now you know the result and can tweak it from there. I too was very dissapointed with my IIPA when I used Beersmiths SRM calculator. Been tweaking it ever since

How are you getting your estimate of 16? Are you just comparing to the carboy, or a sample?

I suspect that the crystal malt you entered in Beersmith and the crystal malt you actually used may have been very different in color. What L crystal did you use, and what did you enter in Beersmith?

Maris otter has an SRM of about 4 while Vienna is about 3.5 so the darkness isn't from the basemalt!

I'm not sure what L crystal I used as they aren't usually marked in the UK, which is a pain! I think that most crystal malt in the UK is 60L, so that's what I put into the software; however, I'd say that the one I used was maybe a bit darker, say around 80L. Even so, when changing the crystal to 90L in the software, it only ramps up the SRM to 11.4, and not to 15 or 16, which is closer to what I ended up with. Would crystal make that much of an impact when it's only 5% of the grain bill?

I should add that when lautering the run-off was a nice straw-blonde colour; the darkness set in before coming to the boil, however.

Unless you're planning on entering the beer in a competition,it doesn't matter and even then, unless it's way off it should only cost you a point.

It's not for a competition or anything, I just wanted to make a light-coloured pale ale for the summer. I'm also giving away a few bottles for my sister-in-law's wedding, and I think they'd find a lighter-coloured beer more aesthetically pleasing.

I'm not sure what L crystal I used as they aren't usually marked in the UK, which is a pain! I think that most crystal malt in the UK is 60L, so that's what I put into the software; however, I'd say that the one I used was maybe a bit darker, say around 80L. Even so, when changing the crystal to 90L in the software, it only ramps up the SRM to 11.4, and not to 15 or 16, which is closer to what I ended up with. Would crystal make that much of an impact when it's only 5% of the grain bill?

I should add that when lautering the run-off was a nice straw-blonde colour; the darkness set in before coming to the boil, however.

It's hard to tell the crystal rating just by looking- 120L doesn't appear much different than 60L- so without knowing which brand and color you used it is nearly impossible to guess as to the final SRM of the beer.

It's hard to tell the crystal rating just by looking- 120L doesn't appear much different than 60L- so without knowing which brand and color you used it is nearly impossible to guess as to the final SRM of the beer.

I'll have to quiz my LHB store owner to see if they know their product...

The strange thing was that when lautering the wort was a straw-blonde colour, then became darker later on. Would it take time for the colour to develop or should it have been evident from the mash?

Back