SQ 14 VS Kick A Banjo Burner Plus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the SQ-14, and also do 10 gallon batches. I would say that if you have the $$$, go with the banjo. The SQ-14 works okay, but takes a little longer than I like to get a boil going.

I have two of the kick a banjo burners. I brewed with these last sunday in the suburbs of D.C. following Irene and these things didn't flame out despite some pretty high wind gusts.

The only problem I have had with them is the propane tanks freezing up sometimes in the winter which I have solved by sitting them in a warm water bath.

My pick is the SQ-14. IMO, it's more economical to operate and it has more than enough power for 10-12 gallon batches. The Banjos are good burners, but almost too powerful for the sizes of kettles most of us are using. That's why you so often see the improvised heat shields to protect hoses, valves, thermometers etc. Lot's of heat escaped up the side of the kettles and proportionately more so with the larger diameter Banjos. Also, IMO the SQ-14 type burner is more versatile. It works well for direct firing a mash tun where precise flame control at low levels is an advantage. The Banjo is the one you want if max horsepower is the objective. They do put out a huge amount of heat, there's no question about that.

Resurrecting old thread here

I'm trying to find out if anyone uses the Kick A Banjo Plus for their converted kegs WITHOUT modification?

I have both the SQ14 and the KAB6. They both work very well. The KAB6 is much heavier and stronger but they both will hold a keggel or a large pot. The KAB6 burns more fuel and puts out more heat but they both would work fine for 5 or 10 gallon batches. They are both very easy to adjust the flame. You can turn the KAB6 down low and it will be just as gentle at the SQ14. Maybe more so as the KAB6 has a wider ring of jets and spreads the flames over a larger area of the pot. The SQ14 element is smaller and would create more of a hot spot but I doubt this would make any problem in brewing beer. I have not modified my KAB6 with a windscreen and it works great as is. I have no problems with it being blown out by the wind or the flames damaging the valve or thermometer on my pot. They are both very quite to operate. I previously had a SP1 and it was VERY loud.

They will both make good beer. It's very close but the KAB6 is just slightly better. It does everything that the SQ14 does and it's got more power and it's a much sturdier heavy steel build. But if money is an concern the sq14 will do the job just fine. So will an SP1 but you will want some earplugs for the jet engine like roar it makes ;)

Thanks for the input here, I really wanted the KAB6 but it looked like it sits a little high for a converted keg. I saw this thread about people modifying the KAB4 for the burner height: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/kick-banjo-burner-92713/index4.html#post1330429 Don't feel like buying something I need to lower or modify.

Money is not really an issue here but I was more worried about boil time. I know that the SQ14 is everyone's favorite for 5 gallons, but for 10 I've been reading it takes a little longer than I'd like. (Or I could just take my time ;) )

I would've went with a stainless blichmann but their waiting list is 3+ weeks at the moment.

I'm starting to think I'll buy one of each and compare while I brew. That way if I'm tired of waiting for something to get up to temp I'll just blast it with the KAB6 and save gas with the SQ-14. :mug:

Thanks for the input here, I really wanted the KAB6 but it looked like it sits a little high for a converted keg. I saw this thread about people modifying the KAB4 for the burner height: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/kick-banjo-burner-92713/index4.html#post1330429 Don't feel like buying something I need to lower or modify.

Money is not really an issue here but I was more worried about boil time. I know that the SQ14 is everyone's favorite for 5 gallons, but for 10 I've been reading it takes a little longer than I'd like. (Or I could just take my time ;) )

I would've went with a stainless blichmann but their waiting list is 3+ weeks at the moment.

I'm starting to think I'll buy one of each and compare while I brew. That way if I'm tired of waiting for something to get up to temp I'll just blast it with the KAB6 and save gas with the SQ-14. :mug:

I'm not sure why you'd adjust the height. Are you trying to keep it lower for a reason? I have mine raised up on a pedestal base so I can gravity drain it into the fermenter when I'm done brewing.

Now some folks with the KAB4 have modified the base so it's wider. I think the stock KAB4 is like 17" wide. The KAB6 is much wider at 22" and should fit a keg no problems. FYI: a standard keg is 16-17" diameter.

Oooooooohhhhh They are modifying it for the width? I thought it was because the skirts on the keg made the bottom of the keg sit a little higher than a straight sided brew pot. I thought they were lowering it so it would be closer to the flame.

I am way over-thinking this I guess. Two KAB6's it is. Thanks boss

I find the KA Banjo to be quite efficient and versatile. Rather than have a windshield made I did take the burner to a local machine shop and had them lower the height between the bottom of the pot and the burner. This modification that cost about 20$, eliminated wind problems and increased the burners efficiency. The burner barely has to be on to maintain an boil, and I can achieve 5 gallons of water at mash-in temp in 15 min.

Back