Spygate, Cont'd...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
This is pretty crazy. Man, if they taped the Rams' walkthrough, that's huuuuuge. I gotta say, something ain't right. I'm not saying they're necessarily guilty, but something is up. Easterbrook makes a good point: if they were simply taping some sideline play calling, it would be a minor offense, definitely not worthy of the biggest fine in NFL history. And why have they been so hush-hush about the stuff that was destroyed, if all it was was half a dozen tapes and some notes?

If you ask me, it goes deeper, and Goodell is trying to cover something up for the "good of the league". I guess we'll see...especially if Specter calls Matt Walsh to testify and/or answer questions.

I think the league has been trying to cover up things ever since Goodell started destroying tapes. I mean really, when you destroy evidence, that's shady. As the saying goes, the whole thing stinks to the high heavens.

No doubt. It made no sense at first---but if he was covering up something like one team taping their super bowl opponent's walkthrough of new calls right before the game, it starts to come together. One could understand why Goodell wouldn't want the general public to find out about such a huge scandal. Which would mean...the tapes that got destroyed might have been those very walkthrough tapes. But we're getting ahead of ourselves now...;)

uglygoat said:
congress should have bigger fish to fry than the frikkin nfl...

I thought the same thing, but easterbrook has a point:

Think Congress has no business investigating sports? Most NFL teams play in publicly subsidized stadiums, and NFL games are aired over public airwaves controlled by federal licenses. The licenses, among other things, prohibit any pre-arrangement or artifice in what is presented as live competition. If a Super Bowl were affected by cheating, that would be a legitimate matter of concern to Congress.

I just wish they'd concern themselves half as much with the government spying on me as they do on the Pats spying on their opponents.

I heard rumblings about this last week. I'll reserve judgement until more is brought to light.

uglygoat said:
congress should have bigger fish to fry than the frikkin nfl...

You're probably right, but this is the most popular sport in America, and the repercussions of this could potentially be huge to Belichick, the Patriots and their dynasty.

i understand the anti-trust oversight. but comeone, i don't give one toss about who's cheating in pro-sports...

Back