spunding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, and I love it. This is what I do!
6533-DSCN1664.JPG

I use/experiment with it under primary, but most use it for secondary or primed kegging. I have had great luck with it keeping the krausen down in the keg through fermentation of 15 psi, but they are great no matter how you use them. I highly recommend them and setting the desired carbonation level is a lot easier than forced carbonation IMHO, just more time consuming (hence the link for what I do).

yes I have one and use it.

mine just RECENTLY developed an issue with shooting beer out of the valve when I release the pressure. never did that before. I KNOW I have it on the gas inlet side.

anyone?

thanks.

I haven't had many beer squirting issues after learning to keep continual pressure release going. When I was learning the system, I let the pressure ramp too high during my primary fermentation and the krausen got high enough to be blown out when I dumped CO2 out. It took forever to release down to wanted pressure and I lost a lot of beer. You want the beer as cold as possible if you are over pressured and want to release some. Otherwise, you need something that has adjustable back pressure relief for continual release.

Was your beer geyser during active or secondary/other fermentation? How slow are you releasing when you do?

Was your beer geyser during active or secondary/other fermentation? How slow are you releasing when you do?

this isn't fermenting in the corny...just carbing up a new beer (and an Apfelwein). pressurized up to about 25 lbs...

[thinking]...I guess I was trying to drop the pressure to about 20 lbs. when I first noticed the Apfelwein shooting out of the spunding valve. THAT Corny was pretty full, so I dismissed it as wein being pushed into the short in tube.

It happened later with a beer that I'd bottled 3 sixer's out of. this time, I was just checking the pressure (22 lbs.). I disconnected the fitting and then released the valve (to zero the gauge), a short shot of beer came out of the valve.

never did any of that before.

Hmmm, I don't know what to tell you then. I don't have a lot of experience with corny, and the space in the Sanke might be what is saving me from more messes.

appreciate the effort, WortMonger.

like I said...this is a new development for this spunding valve.

My neighbor built his own version of this. Works great, though occasionally his corny won't seal and the co2 leaks pass the lid.

If you pressurize to 20lbs or so then release the pressure you can seal the lid.

Back