Spunding Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
I am going to make one of these: http://brewhemoth.com/spunding-valve

I just got a fancy new pulsed tig welder in the mail from some cyber monday shopping so now I am looking for projects. Does anybody have an idea on how to keep the poppet in place? Everything else is pretty straight forward. I should be able to build it for about $30 plus some time. So that is a considerable savings!

I still need to figure out how to keep the poppet in place. It might just hold itself there with the 1/4" pipe fitting. I am looking for bright ideas.

The cross fitting to the 2" TC cap is the only welding. Everything else screws into it.
Personally, I offset the cross a bit so that a compression fittings from Bobby could be added to the cap to accept a SS racking cane for pressure transfer.

The cross fitting to the 2" TC cap is the only welding. Everything else screws into it.
Personally, I offset the cross a bit so that a compression fittings from Bobby could be added to the cap to accept a SS racking cane for pressure transfer.

This is not correct. The ball lock post is welded on as well. Neither halve to be. You can purchase a TC with 1/2" male threads. Also, an adapter can be threaded in so the ball lock post will thread in. Theirs is welded for cost reasons. If not it would be more expensive.

I would not weld anything on it so that it can be taken apart and cleaned. I am sure that there are many other tig welding projects that you can come up with. If you are around St Louis you could easy your boredom by converting my keggles from weldless to welded. :)

This is not correct. The ball lock post is welded on as well. Neither halve to be. You can purchase a TC with 1/2" male threads. Also, an adapter can be threaded in so the ball lock post will thread in. Theirs is welded for cost reasons. If not it would be more expensive.

I would not weld anything on it so that it can be taken apart and cleaned. I am sure that there are many other tig welding projects that you can come up with. If you are around St Louis you could easy your boredom by converting my keggles from weldless to welded. :)

Unfortunately Brewhemoth is no longer selling their spunding valve, so this post is of great interest to me. I don't have the ability to weld but I figure it will still work fine /w a threaded cross. The part I'm unclear on is how to handle threading on the ball lock post -- would you mind explaining that in a bit more detail? What's the adapter that I'd need and the post that I'd use with it?

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated

Unfortunately Brewhemoth is no longer selling their spunding valve, so this post is of great interest to me. I don't have the ability to weld but I figure it will still work fine /w a threaded cross. The part I'm unclear on is how to handle threading on the ball lock post -- would you mind explaining that in a bit more detail? What's the adapter that I'd need and the post that I'd use with it?

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated

I hope I am understanding what you are asking for correctly. Here is what I did.
First you need a tri clamp fitting.
http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-X-1-4-FPT-Fitting.html
Next, you need an adaptor to go from it to the treads of a ball lock post.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/MALE-NPT-CORNY-POST-ADAPTER-P3404.aspx
Now, just thread on a ball lock post. You will end up with a tri clover cap with a ball lock post on it. I prefer this was because it give you more options than making a spudering valve with a TC cap on it. I made two of these, so I can hook one up to the blowoff port and the other to the racking port. I hook CO2 to the blowoff at 4 PSI and a jumper to the racking and to an empty purged keg. Transfer under pressure. I can also attach one of these to the blow off port and then attach a spudering valve to it.

Here is a spudering valve.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/0-60-ADJUSTABLE-PRESSURE-RELIEF-VALVE-P3453.aspx
Just add a ball lock connector to it. I also like this for depressuring kegs. Sometimes I over pressure a keg when I force carb it. I put this on and set the regulator for the desired psi. The next day it is at that psi.

This is how I do it, but it is not the only way.

I am at work right now but if this does not make sense let me know and I will take some pictures when I get home.

I hope I am understanding what you are asking for correctly. Here is what I did.
I am at work right now but if this does not make sense let me know and I will take some pictures when I get home.

Perfect, thank you, that's very helpful! The male npt corny post adapter was the component that I was overlooking, as I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the ball lock post onto the cross. Much appreciated!

Here is what I ended up with. It isn't in use right now. I'm going to get a 0-15psi gauge to replace this one. I welded the gas post to the cross as well as welding the cross to the triclamp cap. My neighbor has a lathe so we used that to put a hole in the TC cap and also bring the one end of the cross to round. It was a near perfect fit and I just fusion welded the two together. I would probably recommend the corny post to 1/4"npt adapter. This was cheaper but it was annoying to weld that part.

If anyone wants a cross welded to a triclamp cap just send me a message. I think I could do it and get it to you for about $16-ish.

Back