Spunding Valve(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbayne

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at doing natural carbing in c-kegs and looking at using SPUNDING VALVES.

Anybody have pros/cons to using this method?

The way I understand through my reading is that (joe proof breakdown version...lol):

1. You finish 2 to 5 points higher than you FG.
2. Rack to c-keg secondary (Sanitize first...lol)
3. Seal
4. Add the SPUNDING VALVE
5. Watch the pressure rise to 30psi
6. Release pressure to 11 to 14 psi and watch for stabile pressure for 3+ days (indicates end of secondary ferm and natural carb?)

Is this along the lines that I am thinking or is there something I am missing?

Any pics you guys have on these would be great to see. I have looked thru BYO, youtube, web about these but the builds are limited for a DIYer.

Thanks for any assistance in figuring this thing out.

Can't see any reason to have the headspace go to the 30psi for most ales. Release pressure at your desired psi once you decide that there is the right amount of sugar left to get you there. This would be between 23-28psi for ale finishing temps of 60-70degF respectively for 2.5volumes. Too much sugar and the yeast spend more time working under pressure, which I'd guess you want to minimize, and too little you won't reach your desired pressure. I'd harvest some yeast before raising pressure if you're keeping it for re-pitch.

So dumb question...

I thought you let it finish out as secondary and not add a priming "sugar"?

But yes controlling it to a serving psi.

I ordered my parts to build one. Hopefully will be put together by the end of the week. I will definately document the build and use for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Back