Spunding valve pressure, directly related to fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyBeers

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but I'm wondering if my beer is done fermenting under pressure. When I tighten the spunding valve, the pressure rises accordingly over the course of the day, yet my FG has been stable for at least 48 hours (using a Tilt). Wouldn't the spundng valve show no change in pressure unless I released the pressure, then it would drop? I used Kveik Lutra at upwards of 84f so I'm fairly certain it SHOULD be done...

FG dropping by .0009 maybe?

Started at 1.050 and now it’s been at 1.011 for 2 to 3 days

Yesterday when I placed the corny in my fridge the spunding valve was showing 30 psi. I just checked and it’s dropped to about 20 psi. Perhaps it’s safe to say my fermentation has stopped?

Obviously not a dumb question. Is it possible the pressure rise you are seeing when increasing the setpoint is simply the beer de-gassing?

I've never used the tilt before, but what I read is that it is possible it gets "stuck" (not sure that's correct). If possible, taking a sample and getting a hydrometer reading would give me more confidence. That said, waiting a longer time to make sure won't be detrimental.

Started at 1.050 and now it’s been at 1.011 for 2 to 3 days

Yesterday when I placed the corny in my fridge the spunding valve was showing 30 psi. I just checked and it’s dropped to about 20 psi. Perhaps it’s safe to say my fermentation has stopped?

Dropping the temperature will drop the pressure. You've got a fixed volume of headspace, and you dropped the temperature. The pressure would drop proportionally. Also, chilling your yeast will make them stop fermenting anyway, and thus stop producing CO2 by-product. So the fact that it dropped when you put it in a cold fridge doesn't help you figure out if it was finished or not.

Last edited:
Yes, pressure and temperature and linked together in a fixed volume container. Refer to a carbonation chart to see the relation of pressure, temperature and volumes of CO2.

Latest posts

Back