Spunding Valve Build Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleGoatBrewing

Reaction score
Ok need some "simple" help with this.:drunk: Not sure why I can't figure it out, but I've gone through $19 of fittings from my local hardware shop and none of them are working. What fitting do I need here? Is it this one? http://midwestbev.com/664fhd-4-4.aspx. Is this a specialty fitting? Can I use something I can pick up local? I wouldn't mind even putting a short length of tubing in between if I needed it.

Here is my current part list:
Barstock Street Tee, 1/4" Female Pipe x 1/4" Male Pipe x 1/4" Female Pipe
Adjustable Pressure Range, 1/4" Male NPT
Glycerin Liquid Filled Pressure Gauge, 30 PSI
Ball Lock Gas Disconnect, Threaded

Extras (upper right)
Brass CA360 Fitting, Coupling, 1/4" NPT Female
Brass Pipe Fitting, Hex Nipple, 1/4" x 1/4" NPT Male Pipe

valve.png

Thanks in advance!

I found a 1/4" flair tube about 1" long that has a flair female coupling on each end. It went between the gas disconnect and a 1/4" flair/pipe thread fitting. Basically it's a short flair fitting to flair fitting length of rigid tube.

All,

Just wanted to provide an update. I just used a bunch of barbs and clamps and it's working great. I can get some carbing done while they're in secondary.

OGB

IMG_3414.JPG

OP,

What are your experiences with that pressure relief valve. Seems as though there are mixed reviews on Amazon especially with the reset after it releases pressure. Thanks!

@zgja2 When under pressure it does seem to open up and dip below the threshold you set. I could see where some might not like the fluxuations, but it does not empty out completely. The marker on the dial also isn't very accurate, but you get a good feel on how to dial it in after a few uses. I'm sure you could get a more precise unit, but for $13 it does the job pretty good for me. I've been treating my keg's as "secondary vessels" and getting to take "carbonated" samples which is nice.

For example I have one keg lagering and one keg conditioning hooked up to this now. The pressure is equalized regardless of which one is producing CO2. I set it at 20psi and they both carb up slightly.

Where were you 18 months ago when I... Oh. Jeez. Wait...

Seriously, That is a cool spunding contraption... I can see using that to "catch up" or balance flat beer to overcarbed or secondary kegs. Oh well. Off to the Depot...

Back