Spunding Valve Build Help

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OleGoatBrewing

Reaction score
Ok need some "simple" help with this.:drunk: Not sure why I can't figure it out, but I've gone through $19 of fittings from my local hardware shop and none of them are working. What fitting do I need here? Is it this one? http://midwestbev.com/664fhd-4-4.aspx. Is this a specialty fitting? Can I use something I can pick up local? I wouldn't mind even putting a short length of tubing in between if I needed it.

Here is my current part list:
Barstock Street Tee, 1/4" Female Pipe x 1/4" Male Pipe x 1/4" Female Pipe
Adjustable Pressure Range, 1/4" Male NPT
Glycerin Liquid Filled Pressure Gauge, 30 PSI
Ball Lock Gas Disconnect, Threaded

Extras (upper right)
Brass CA360 Fitting, Coupling, 1/4" NPT Female
Brass Pipe Fitting, Hex Nipple, 1/4" x 1/4" NPT Male Pipe

Thanks in advance!

ChuckO

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I found a 1/4" flair tube about 1" long that has a flair female coupling on each end. It went between the gas disconnect and a 1/4" flair/pipe thread fitting. Basically it's a short flair fitting to flair fitting length of rigid tube.

OP
OleGoatBrewing

OleGoatBrewing

Reaction score
All,

Just wanted to provide an update. I just used a bunch of barbs and clamps and it's working great. I can get some carbing done while they're in secondary.

OGB

IMG_3414.JPG

zgja2

Reaction score
OP,

What are your experiences with that pressure relief valve. Seems as though there are mixed reviews on Amazon especially with the reset after it releases pressure. Thanks!

OP
OleGoatBrewing

OleGoatBrewing

Reaction score
@zgja2 When under pressure it does seem to open up and dip below the threshold you set. I could see where some might not like the fluxuations, but it does not empty out completely. The marker on the dial also isn't very accurate, but you get a good feel on how to dial it in after a few uses. I'm sure you could get a more precise unit, but for $13 it does the job pretty good for me. I've been treating my keg's as "secondary vessels" and getting to take "carbonated" samples which is nice.

For example I have one keg lagering and one keg conditioning hooked up to this now. The pressure is equalized regardless of which one is producing CO2. I set it at 20psi and they both carb up slightly.

HopHeavy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Where were you 18 months ago when I... Oh. Jeez. Wait...

Seriously, That is a cool spunding contraption... I can see using that to "catch up" or balance flat beer to overcarbed or secondary kegs. Oh well. Off to the Depot...