spruce tip storage, recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The trees around here look like they'd be ideal for gathering some spruce tips right now, but I'm not going to use them for almost 2 weeks (don't want to leave an active fermenter while I go on vacation). Will they last in the freezer that long and still give plenty of flavor? Also, what kind of base beer would be good for using spruce tips?

Any recipes you want to share involving spruce tips, I'd be happy to look them over.

Here's what I did last year. 1 gallon test batch since I'd never used spruce before. I just picked 30oz so I'm making a big batch of something this year.

1.062 - 21 IBU - 6.3% abv
19oz Extra Light DME - 88%
1.6 oz Dark Brown Sugar - 7.4%
1 oz Honey Malt - 4.6%
1 oz Spruce @ 60
2 oz Spruce @ 15
10g Northern Brewer (9%AA) @ 15
WLP028 - Edinburgh

Very fruity and citrus candy-like. Was happy with it, but want more piney flavor this time. I noticed some of the buds that were more open but still very young and fresh had a more hints of pine in them. Gonna see how that works along with some chinook.

Back