Spruce Essence Surprise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buenaventura

Reaction score
. . . and I don't mean in a good way . . .

I went to my FLHBS and came home with the makings for a Papazian-esqe spruce beer, including a 2-oz. bottle of spruce essence.

While munching away during lunch, I casually read its ingredients and was a bit unnerved when I noticed that it includes sodium benzoate . . .

Now, I remember reading in a forum about hawaiian punch wine that there was mention that this preservative is among those that will inhibit fermentation.

Please tell me this is not true or, if it does, that I shouldn't worry about it. I mean . . . why would the store sell it if it inhibited fermentation?!?!?

I'm a bit frazzled by this . . . :confused:

Dilution is the Solution!

I doubt there is sufficient quantity to inhibit the yeasts growth once diluted in your wert.

Now, regarding whether or not you want to use it... I hear that the 'spruce essence' tastes like Pine Sol (satan's anus?) and is VERY easily over-used. I'd look for some threads on the exact quantity of 'spuce essence' you might want to add if you haven't already.

No Spruce trees in your neck o the woods? < http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/ >

:)

- Mike

No Spruce trees in your neck o the woods? < http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/ >

That's a negatory . . . closest would be NE Wisconsin based on those maps . . .

Anyway . . . thanks for the heads up. I suppose you are right about dilution.

Papazian recommends 1-5 tsp. per 5 gallon batch. I certainly want the spruce taste to be dominant, but I also don't want to drink pine sol! Perhaps I should take the safe route and do about 3 tsp.?

Anyway, I will do some more research.

While I haven't tasted it, or any beverage from which it's made, it does smell FANTASTIC.

Thanks again.

b

After further exploration, this thread proved to be really helpful.

Looks like it's going to be 1/4 oz (2 tsp.) MAX.

Now, the question is whether I should stagger the two tsp. additions. Maybe one at start of boil and one within the last 5 minutes? Yikes . . . I wonder if I should just add them both at the beginning just to boil the hell out of it as a way of making sure I get something I will actually be able to drink . . .

Spruce trees are very common landscape plants. I would be shocked if there weren't some within walking distance of you in Chicago. I have actually had better luck picking spruce tips later in summer, not the new growth as is suggested --which I didn't get any flavor from. I have used black (hard to find, bogs/swamps), red, norway, and white spruce tips. I chose not to use blue spruce because I didn't think they tasted or smelled as good as the red/white/norway spruce.

To find a spruce, look for something that you would call a 'pine tree' and look closely at the needles. A spruce's needles are attached individually, not in clumps of 2-5. Crush some needles, smell it. If it smells sprucy, taste it or make some tea with it.

Spruce is definitely on the "to taste" list. Do not add any until bottling time. Add 1 tsp and mix well. Repeat until you hit the level you want.

Spruce is definitely on the "to taste" list. Do not add any until bottling time. Add 1 tsp and mix well. Repeat until you hit the level you want.

Seriously? Every recipe I have come across has called for boiling the spruce essence. I figured half the fun was the way the wort would smell as it was boiling away on my stovetop . . . :(

Back