Spruce essence for branches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The English gruit ale version of the German Mumme I'm fermenting would normally use 2ozs of fir branches in the boil. Couldn't find any when I ordered the gruits, but I do have 2ozs of the essence coming. I'm going to add it to the boiling water for the priming solution. How much of the spruce essence would I use in place of the tips?

I talked to one of the brew techs at NB earlier, & he said to replace 2ozs of spruce tips in the boil, about 1/4oz spruce essence should be added to the Mumme recipe. Just thought I'd post that.

If you're kegging, I'd recommend using an eye dropper and dosing it into the finished beer. Say 10 drops, seal it back up, shake, let sit a while, taste taste, add more as needed.

If you're bottling, good luck.

I'm bottling 6 gallons (23L) & like vanilla in my porter, I wanted to put it in the priming solution. The vanilla worked out great that way. Since I didn't have the tips to put in the last 15 minutes of the boil, that is. The recipe calls for adding the gruits @ 4 days after fermentation starts. Boiling them to sanitize them. So I saved the last half gallon of top-off spring water for this. Using a 2 1/2 gallon nylon bag in a smaller SS kettle. I crushed the anise seed & cardamom pods before use.
The anise seed went in at the beginning of the 30 minute boil suggested for them on a site about teas from such things. The rest went in @ 15 minutes left in the boil. Just didn't have the tips. Covered & cooled before adding all per instructions to primary to 23L mark in my Cooper's Micro Brew FV. It has more head space for 6 gallon batches. So I was trying to imagine how much essence oil would be extracted from 2ozs of tips? It is a concentrate, & smells like wintergreen & pine. Not sure how much of it is to be tasted in the English gruit version of this German Mumme (Moo-muh)? Should it stand out, our mix with the flavors of the other herbs, spices & plant materials?

Back