sprinke or re-hydrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed Fermentis and was advised not to sprinkle dry yeast on foam - it could leave some yeast outside of the liquid. This makes sense to me. Their new dry pitching recommendation is to partly fill the fermenter, sprinkle the dry yeast, then finish filling - this mixes the yeast in. (This is pretty much what brewbama mentioned in Post #4.)

At least one manufacturer had gone away from the recommendation to rehydrate after doing comparisons and finding little to no difference. I don't remember which manufacturer that was.
For what it's worth, for the specific yeast strains that I use (from Fermentis, Lallemand, and Mangrove Jack) product information includes instructions for either sprinkling or hydrating.

Given that we are starting to see yeast products that are more than just yeast (e.g. Fermentis SafBrew™ DA-16), having the details on individual strains likely to be useful in preventing problems on brew day.

I have been rehydrating using boiled water filtered from fridge. I dont think the filter removes all chlorine... I guess better to pitch dry then?

I have been rehydrating using boiled water filtered from fridge. I dont think the filter removes all chlorine... I guess better to pitch dry then?
Filters do a pretty good job. Boiling drives some off as well. If you have been having good luck, I think you can stick with it. Still, I use cheap bottled water I buy for a few bucks a case at the supermarket. No chlorine and it's sanitary.

Their new dry pitching recommendation is to partly fill the fermenter, sprinkle the dry yeast, then finish filling - this mixes the yeast in.

I'll just mention that this advice is in a document aimed at commercial brewers, who typically ferment in conicals that don't allow for sprinkling evenly on top of wort. I don't think they mean it as a preferred method when you can sprinkle evenly.

(I feel like we've had this discussion before. :))

I'll just mention that this advice is in a document aimed at commercial brewers, who typically ferment in conicals that don't allow for sprinkling evenly on top of wort. I don't think they mean it as a preferred method when you can sprinkle evenly.
If I end up with a fermentation vessel with a port hole on the side, I may give the partial fill technique a try. :)

Until then, for me, a well 'poka-yolked' process for pitching dry yeast is sprinkle it on top, close the vessel, and walk away.

(I feel like we've had this discussion before. :))
And some group of 'us' in the forum will have it again :).

You can also save some money by saving the yeast from this batch in your refrigerator; some people say saving dried yeast isn't worth the trouble, but its pretty easy and works fine, then you won't have to worry about the sprinkle vs re-hydrate issue.

You can also save some money by saving the yeast from this batch in your refrigerator; some people say saving dried yeast isn't worth the trouble, but its pretty easy and works fine, then you won't have to worry about the sprinkle vs re-hydrate issue.

even shopping around I pay $3/pack of US-05 and will use 3-4 packs in a batch. That’s enough savings for me to go ahead and harvest and repitch.

even shopping around I pay $3/pack of US-05 and will use 3-4 packs in a batch. That’s enough savings for me to go ahead and harvest and repitch.

Are you making 30-gallon batches? By my counts, I figure 1/2 pack is plenty for 5 gallons. Been pitching at this rate for years and haven't experienced problems.

Are you making 30-gallon batches? By my counts, I figure 1/2 pack is plenty for 5 gallons. Been pitching at this rate for years and haven't experienced problems.
Yeah, that's a ton of yeast. I use one pack for 5 gallons, and will happily split a pack for 1 gallon test batches. And, by split, I'll separate one pack into 5 smaller packs with no worries.

Yeah, that's a ton of yeast. I use one pack for 5 gallons, and will happily split a pack for 1 gallon test batches. And, by split, I'll separate one pack into 5 smaller packs with no worries.

My batches are about 17.5 gallons into the fermentor. If I am using new yeast I will use 3 packs if OG is under 1.050 and 4 packs if OG is over. I don't think that amount is crazy high and sounds like we are using very similar dosing rates.

My batches are about 17.5 gallons into the fermentor. If I am using new yeast I will use 3 packs if OG is under 1.050 and 4 packs if OG is over. I don't think that amount is crazy high and sounds like we are using very similar dosing rates.
Lol, yeah, totally reasonable. I have a 15 gallon stockpot, but still only do 5 gallon batches because that's the size of my buckets. I'd imagine the logistics of 17.5 gallons is much different.

Hello,

follow up question on my original post. Has been in Carboy for two weeks today and is still showing active fermetnation, ie. bubbles slowly rising to top of wort and airlock bubbling once every 15-20 seconds. I am inclined to leave it until no activity at all and then take gravity readings. Does this sound correct ? Thanks very much.

follow up question on my original post. Has been in Carboy for two weeks today and is still showing active fermetnation, ie. bubbles slowly rising to top of wort and airlock bubbling once every 15-20 seconds. I am inclined to leave it until no activity at all and then take gravity readings. Does this sound correct ? Thanks very much.

Yes, that's a good idea. I am experiencing the same issue with my current roggenbier. I wanted to bottle it like a week ago, but it's still bubbling after weeks. The frustrating thing is that I have been monitoring the FG and it's only decreased 0.001 gravity unit over the past 5 days or so. But still going. Eventually I might just bottle it anyway and take my chances, recognizing that it might turn to gushers later.

Hello,

If it was me, I'd plan 3 weeks in the fermenter. Check gravity 2 - 3 days before the planned bottling day, and again on bottling day. If gravity is stable and in a reasonable FG range, and clear or slightly misty, go ahead and bottle. I've had three very slow fermentations, but by using this method and bottling when gravity is stable, it has worked out well. It wouldn't hurt to handle the bottles carefully (in a bin, and using goggles when handling, etc) just in case.

Hello,

What does the beer look like? Airlock bubbles are helpful in understanding when active fermentation gets going and when it slows down but terrible for indicating when the beer is actually done fermenting.

At end of fermentation there is a lot of CO2 dissolved in the beer. But this gas comes out over time especially if the fermentor warms at all after fermentation was complete. That can be plenty to cause occasional airlock bubble on a well sealed carboy.

But since you are in a carboy take a flashlight and look at the beer. Is it dropping clear or is it still pretty hazy? If it has dropped clear and you are at 2 weeks go ahead and bottle it it is done.

I've really gotten away from the daily gravity samples to decide if the beer is done. Just asking for cold side oxidation.

Hello,

Hard to tell how clear with flashlight as the this is a dark amber ale, hard to see through. Weak bubble in airlock every 22-23 seconds. Small bubbles on surface fairly steadily, think I might take a SG reading tomorrow or the next day and see where it is. Quick question, this is a 7 gallon carbor with app. 5 gallons Wort. What is the easiest way to get SG sample and move it to bottling bucket ? Have an auto siphon bbut it is not long enough to submerge in the wort. THanks

Hello,

Hard to tell how clear with flashlight as the this is a dark amber ale, hard to see through. Weak bubble in airlock every 22-23 seconds. Small bubbles on surface fairly steadily, think I might take a SG reading tomorrow or the next day and see where it is. Quick question, this is a 7 gallon carbor with app. 5 gallons Wort. What is the easiest way to get SG sample and move it to bottling bucket ? Have an auto siphon bbut it is not long enough to submerge in the wort. THanks

Wine thief..

Can’t you tell difference between what it looked like during active fermentation and now?

it doesn’t need to drop bright, just goes from looking like a latte to looking like ice tea. You will see clear layer of yeast trub on bottom of carboy.

really getting in there with a wine thief multiple times is going to do more harm than good.

Forgot this is a gluten free recipe. I’ve never made one and maybe they ferment differently than malt based recipes. Still if me I’d let it go 3 weeks in fermentor unmolested and then bottle it. Actually if me I’d go 2 weeks and keg it but if bottling extra week is security.

As for visual evaluation...See that thick layer of krausen capping the picture of the beer fermenting in the carboy? Did that drop to bottom?

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Yes the Krausen dropped to the bottom several days ago. Have a very visible layer of Trubb on the bottom. Airlock bubbles app. one small one every 20 seconds. Slight movement of surface liquid with very small light bubbling, probably the off gassing of the CO2. Temp has remained steady between 66-68 F the entire time and the carboy has remained in the same location for last 15 days. I believe that the fermentation is done. I will test SG tomorrow and then again on Tuesday, if same I will move to bottling bucket and let it settle over night before moving upstairs for bottling. All that sound reasonable ? Thanks

Back