Spring Water (from the spring) Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
For my next Ale I'm am running up to the foothills to get 15 or 20 gallons of spring water which runs continually from a spring in the Cascades. People have been stopping by there for drinking water for years and it truly is the best water I have had.
However when it comes to brewing is there anything I should add to the water, Salts, Gypsum,ect. just for good measure? I don't want to shell out for an analysis.
I have a digital PH meter and some "next to worthless" test strips for alkalinity, hardness and some unrelated pond testing parameters.
Maybe the water doesn't need anything.
Thanks

Update: Here are some of the parameters I have tested. PH 7.33, GH around 50 or 60ppm, KH also around 50 or 60ppm.

I wouldn't add anything to that water unless the style you are brewing requires hard water. That must be the best tasting water around.

PH seems a little high to me. but I am by no means a water expert.

Thats kind of what suprised me too.
I brewed an Amber Ale with it today so we'll see how it turns out.
Didn't quite hit my pre boil gravity but I didn't check the mash PH so I don't know exactly what the cause was.
Come to think of it, I never hit my pre boil gravity so I don't think it is the water that caused it :)

Latest posts

Back