Spring Ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maho

Reaction score
I am looking for a good spring ale recipe (All-Grain). Something like Redhook's Copperhook. Must use Cascade Hops however ('cause that's what I got).

I was thinking about Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale but perhaps tone down the hops a bit ?

Thanks for any suggestion!
Hommel Homebrew

maybe start with this and tinker...

9 lbs 2-row
1 lb caramunich
0.75 lb crystal 60

1.5 oz. cascade 60
0.5 oz. cascade 15
1.0 oz. cascade 5

p.s. I don't know at all how this will turn out -- just thinking out loud

That recipe sounds good to me. I plugged the malt bill into promash and it came out to be the color of copperhook.

The only spring seasonal I can think of is Marzen which is not an ale... Personally when I think of spring drinking, I would reach for something like a dry brown ale with a good hop presence. Something that isn't overly malty matly with a good hop flavor.

This is what I'm drinking:
77% Pale Malt
15% Crystal 35L
4% Chocolate
4% Wheat

Cascade Hops: 1.5 @ 60, 1 @ 30, .5 @ 0

OG = 46 FG = 11

I'd tweak that and bring the last hop addition in to about the 5 min mark and maybe, maybe shoot for a little higher final gravity.

That recipe sounds good to me. I plugged the malt bill into promash and it came out to be the color of copperhook.

The only spring seasonal I can think of is Marzen which is not an ale... Personally when I think of spring drinking, I would reach for something like a dry brown ale with a good hop presence. Something that isn't overly malty matly with a good hop flavor.

This is what I'm drinking:
77% Pale Malt
15% Crystal 35L
4% Chocolate
4% Wheat

Cascade Hops: 1.5 @ 60, 1 @ 30, .5 @ 0

OG = 46 FG = 11

I'd tweak that and bring the last hop addition in to about the 5 min mark and maybe, maybe shoot for a little higher final gravity.

Then toss in a cup of brown sugar with 5 min left on the boil! That looks like a tasty brown!

Back