Spraying grains before crushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrison

Reaction score
From the sierra nevada brewery website: "The brewing process starts in our hydrating malt mill, where we crack the malted barley grains. Spraying the grains with hot water before crushing softens them, yielding a more intact husk".

Could this be applied to homebrewing? Would spraying your grains somehow with hot water make it so you can do a finer crush to raise your efficiency, yet still leave husks intact to avoid a stuck sparge? sounds interesting..

People have tried this. It is extremely difficult to get the right amount of water on the grain & it tends to gum up the crusher.

Big companies, like SN, can control water quantities to fractions of a percentage.

something I've thought about but haven't tried, is using a humidifier in a closed chamber to add the right amount of moisture to the grains. if you have one and try to use it let me know if it works. I think you might need to stir the grain to get the humidity to the lower layers of grain.

Back