Spray Head for BIAB Recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDog007

Reaction score
Hey All,

I currently do all electric BIAB recirc using RIMS. I have a weldless bulkhead that I put in my lid for the recirc during the mash, what is everyone using for a spray type head attached to the inside of the bulkhead.

I've found that if I just do a steady stream I end up with massive foam inside the kettle but if I had a spray head it would distribute the wort evenly and keep that knocked down. I heard people use spray heads but not sure what or where I would get one of these without building it from scratch.

I did consider using a long pick-up tube attached to the bulkhead that would reach down to below the wort level which should also keep the foam down as an alternative.

Thanks for any help, brewing tomorrow and finishing up a few last minute modifications.

RP

This

%24_57.JPG

Why would u want a spray? Your only causing hot side aeration. You could use some loc line to evenly distribute the water below the surface level.

Why integrate any conditions into your system for off flavors? That's like not purging kegs because its above your level, you have the ability and knowledge why not implement it?

His experiment proves to me that HSA is not something to worry about.

I have a copper stub-out that I cut notches in, still refining it (particularly flow rate), but it's another idea.

Oops didn't see the link. Thanks for the new knowledge, I guess u can't believe everything you read.

Oops didn't see the link. Thanks for the new knowledge, I guess u can't believe everything you read.

It's all golden, I used to worry too until I read the test. Now I figure that because it's only 5 gallons and no long term storage (beer usually gone in 2 months or less) I needn't worry at all.
Brew on my good fellow:mug:

Because one homebrewed experiment from some guy on the internet absolutely and definitively explodes HSA.

Better cite Charlie Bamforth if you're going to talk about the flavor effects of HSA.

Besides flavor, something else to keep in mind is that hot side aeration can also create problems with thickening of proteins that can lead to slow or stuck mash.

Not saying it's a problem, but it is a real phenomenon.

The effects may be unnoticeable compared to oxygen intake during packaging, but that doesn't mean there aren't effects.

Also, the oxygen binds to other compounds, and is not just in a free state. If it were just in a free state, then like you say it wouldn't make any sense. The only point oxygen is desirable is immediately prior to pitching the yeast. Even then that doesn't mean it has no flavor effects. I think I remember Bamforth mentioning how it's a tradeoff for yeast health, although I could be wrong.

I've never heard or read anything about Charles Bamforth discussing the reasons you mentioned, but I would appreciate some direction or a link if you have it. He does say try not to aerate, but don't worry too much as the oxygen uptake during packaging has a far greater flavor impact.

Because one anecdote from some guy on the internet absolutely and definitively explodes HSA.

Better cite Charlie Bamforth if you're going to talk about the flavor effects of HSA.

Besides flavor, something else to keep in mind is that hot side aeration can also create problems with thickening of proteins that can lead to slow or stuck mash.

Not saying it's a problem, but it is a real phenomenon.

Brulosopher ran a controlled experiment that qualifies as more than an anecdote. The hole in his experiment was not looking at aging effects. However, there was another HSA experiment back in 2006 (reported on Basic Brewing Radio) that that did look at aging for somewhere between 6 & 8 months. That experiment did not find any aging issues that were attributable to HSA. You can listen to the pod casts at:There was also an interview with John Palmer at the beginning of the third pod cast that speculated that if HSA was an issue, temps below saccharification were what mattered, as the enzyme (lypoxygenase) that would cause problems is denatured by the time you get to the saccharification rest.

Bamforth has given at least two interviews about HSA and homebrewing. Neither of these provided any experimental evidence of detrimental affects of HSA, and Charlie basically says in both that he's not convinced there is any significant problem.

So, we have two experiments that don't show any detrimental effects on a homebrewing scale, and none that I have heard of that demonstrate a detrimental effect. If you know of any controlled experiment on a homebrew scale that demonstrates a detrimental effect of HSA, please point it out.

I am not saying there is no wort oxidation, only that I am not aware of any demonstrated detrimental effects that are the result of any hot side oxidation that does occur.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
Part of my process includes transferring hot wort (~200F) to a fermenting bucket. When I do this I splash the wort around as much as I possibly can by pouring it into the bucket, 2 quarts at a time, from about 4 feet up. It's a nice frothy mess by the time I'm done.

I've never had any HSA issues.

Back