Spray dried malt query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Sprayed dried malt, what's it for? Do you use as a direct replacement for sugar, do you use a percentage with sugar? I have a bag, I also have a bag of brewing sugar as well, can that sugar be used for priming bottles instead of usual sugars , oh I'm getting so confused :-(. But really wish to persevere and get things correct and the best that I can as a beginner .

I believe spray dreid malt is malt extract, so yes, you would use that for brewing and it can be used to replace sugar. The malt extract will provide fermentables for the yeast to consume and create alcohol and CO2.

If you're planning on bottling your beer, you'll need sugar at bottling time. The sugar is added to the batch just before bottling. The beer is bottled and the remaining yeast consume the small amount of sugar, the CO2 byproduct in then trapped in the capped bottle created carbonation.

Are you using a kit, or do you have instructions that you're following? Is so, please post and we can help you out a little further.

Spray dried malt is just that. DME, or Dried Malt Extract.

The spray dried refers to the process. IIRC, they mist the malt extract into a vacuum oven to ensure proper drying and powdering.

You can use it to replace priming sugar or as a portion of you fermentables.

It's a coopers lager kit, last one I did used a Beer Enhancer! But don't know what's in that and used normal table sugar for bottle priming , have done batch priming also but didn't appear to be as successful , on reading other posts says to replace sugar with spray dried malt in either 50% and add brewing sugar or 100% malt. Trying 50/50 as its a bit cheaper. Was going then to use the remainder of the brewing sugar in the bottles at the correct quantity of course for the secondary fermentation but is that the better sugar to use, I'm more used to knowing about engine oils and spark plugs to be honest

It's a coopers lager kit, last one I did used a Beer Enhancer! But don't know what's in that and used normal table sugar for bottle priming , have done batch priming also but didn't appear to be as successful , on reading other posts says to replace sugar with spray dried malt in either 50% and add brewing sugar or 100% malt. Trying 50/50 as its a bit cheaper. Was going then to use the remainder of the brewing sugar in the bottles at the correct quantity of course for the secondary fermentation but is that the better sugar to use, I'm more used to knowing about engine oils and spark plugs to be honest

Engine oil will kill head retention and the spark plugs will just add a mettalic off-flavor.

If it's the Cooper's Original Series (That we call OS),then it's a light plae ale in reality. It uses a 7g ale yeast packet. Anyway, adiing DME to the can will indeed make a fuller bodied beer with a bit more ABV%.
Their Brew Enhancer1 is 80% dextrose & 20% maltodextrin. BH2 is the same ingridients,but in lower quantities,as some plain light DME is added as well.
You may have to adjust the quantity of BH1 added for priming as the maltodextrin is only about 5% fermentable. It's added for increased mouth feel. Dextrose (corn sugar),or common table sugars are easier to measure accurately,as they ferment out totally.

If it's the Cooper's Original Series (That we call OS),then it's a light plae ale in reality. It uses a 7g ale yeast packet. Anyway, adiing DME to the can will indeed make a fuller bodied beer with a bit more ABV%.
Their Brew Enhancer1 is 80% dextrose & 20% maltodextrin. BH2 is the same ingridients,but in lower quantities,as some plain light DME is added as well.
You may have to adjust the quantity of BH1 added for priming as the maltodextrin is only about 5% fermentable. It's added for increased mouth feel. Dextrose (corn sugar),or common table sugars are easier to measure accurately,as they ferment out totally.

Annoying font. Didn't read.

Annoying font. Didn't read.

It's the same font used in something called books. Try anyway,since the drop down window I've been getting since the overhaul on here won't scroll down all the way anymore to the usual font most use that I happened to prefer. Anyone else get this problem? I can't seem to fix it....Sorry if it isn't optimal,but it's the best I can get atm.:drunk:

It's the same font used in something called books. Try anyway,since the drop down window I've been getting since the overhaul on here won't scroll down all the way anymore to the usual font most use that I happened to prefer. Anyone else get this problem? I can't seem to fix it....Sorry if it isn't optimal,but it's the best I can get atm.:drunk:

All my eBooks use arial. ;)

I was referring to print books,but ok. My point being,the font window scrolls down only to the middle of "impact" now. Can't get the font that looks like a typewriter font anymore. The scroll bar on the right is all the way down already. Need some input from mods there...

Back