Spotted Lantern Fly Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
Figures the spotted lantern fly is attracted to hops. I’ve been just going out from time to time, flicking them off the leaves and bines, but wow they are fast. Been able to kill some humanely, by squashing them with my foot and fingers, might try burning them with a magnifying glass next. But they just keep coming back.

Anyone else have a spotted lantern fly issue? How are you getting rid of them without throwing pesticide at the problem?

There's plenty of info here: Spotted Lanternfly. It would really help if you could notify your local cooperative extension about this. These things have the potential to put a huge strain on our agricultural community and economy, pretty serious issue.

Unfortunately the SLF loves grapes and hops to death. We lost a grape vine 2 years ago, it was insane how they attacked it. Good Luck

I'm in SE Pennsylvania where they are. Last year only seen a few in my yard. This year more. As I picked some Magnum hops I started to see more of them in the binds. Am wondering how or when they kill the hops. My yield is pretty good this year. Do hop plants suffer a slow death or fast? I read Praying mantis kills them. I do have some of those in my yard thankfully.

Back