Spotted Cow Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
Brewing Friends...

Living near the Wisconsin/Illinois boarder...and having a daugher working in New Glarus...I have a supply of the original New Glarus Brewing's "Spotted Cow," which SWMBO loves.

A week ago, I brewed my first all-grain batch...a "Spotted Cow" clone, we hope! I missed the mash and sparge temps, but when I racked it to secondary yesterday, it smelled really good!

Today, I brewed up a Northern Brewer partial mash clone called "Speckled Heifer." It's got a few more minutes to boil, and then into the fermenter it goes.

It will be interesting to compare the three when this final batch is fermented, bottled and conditioned! I'll keep you all posted.

glenn514:mug:

I brewed the speckled heifer too a few weeks ago.. been sitting in primary. I tasted a sample two days ago.. It's really good.. but no spotted cow, IMO.

Also, if you look on the NB front page right now they are featuring all of their clones... speckled heifer isn't on there so I'm not sure if they're tabbing it as an actual clone, or just a "tribute"... it is really good from what I can tell though.

Let us know how your AG clone turned out..

:mug:

I brewed the AG a month ago and cracked the bottles yesterday.

This is *fantastic*. A great session beer -- light, low ABV, but with a unique biscuity/spicy flavor. I used Safbrew-33 for three weeks @ 62F.

Simply amazing. Probably one of the top three beers I brewed this past summer.

Is it exactly like Spotted Cow? No, but it's *very* close. It's got the same flavor profile. I went from 1.044 to 1.011, and maybe I could dry it a few more points to get a better match. Nonetheless, this one is on my list for one of the first beers I brew in the Spring.

Latest posts

Back