Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

day_trippr

Structural Duct Tape Sales Engineer
Reaction score
Farewell to Nichol Nichols. She moved the needle of US broadcast standards in a positive direction...

1659403932841.png

Cheers!

OP
OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
Farewell to Nichol Nichols. She moved the needle of US broadcast standards in a positive direction...

View attachment 776585

Cheers!

I never liked the original star trek. So cheesy. SOOO cheesy.

If you're really a fan of uhuru (I think that's her name), go find the Black Mirror episode called USS Callister. Find it you must. Let me know what you think afterwards.

Pkrd

Reaction score
I never liked the original star trek. So cheesy. SOOO cheesy.

If you're really a fan of uhuru (I think that's her name), go find the Black Mirror episode called USS Callister. Find it you must. Let me know what you think afterwards.
That was a pretty good watch.
I've just finished discovery which is often awful but has its moments.
Strange New Worlds was reminiscent of the original and definitely one of the better Treks.

day_trippr

Reaction score
I'll say right now I have no good feelings about this first SLS launch, but "The Artemis team is targeting its first two-hour launch window from 8:33 a.m. ET to 10:33 a.m. ET on Monday, August 29. There are backup launch windows on September 2 and September 5."

Good luck...

day_trippr

Reaction score
Those were just the "light the candle" exercises, iirc.
Yeah, going "full send" doesn't seem likely to succeed right now...

day_trippr

Reaction score

day_trippr

Reaction score
Hard hold at T -40 minutes due to one of the core engines not responding properly to a chill-down sequence...

OP
OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
THIS is why I never drove across the state to watch a launch.

Believe it or not, you can see the spacecraft from this side (west coast) of Florida. Sorta. On a clear day you'll see a LONG plume of vapor grow up into the sky from the horizon.

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I can watch most launches from Vandenberg Space Force Base here in Long Beach as long as they are night launches and its clear skys. I wish I could figure out how to post a large video I have of one of them (275 meg). You can see the launch, stage 1 separation, and it flying back to the base. It was an evening launch and it lit up the sky!

day_trippr

Reaction score
I wish I could figure out how to post a large video I have of one of them (275 meg).

Put the video up on a Google Drive, then generate an "Anyone with the link can view this video" url, and post that here...

Cheers!

day_trippr

Reaction score
Ok, second launch attempt window opens at 2:17 p.m. ET and closes at 4:17 p.m. ET on Saturday...

Cheers!

day_trippr

Reaction score
While the Artemis mission continues to find leaks, the DART mission is about to come to fruition!
Impact will occur around 7:14PM EDT Monday. NASA streaming will start coverage around 6PM...

Cheers!

Pkrd

Reaction score
That was great. Looking forward to seeing the images from the trailing satellite in a day or two.

day_trippr

Reaction score
We watched the last 30 seconds to impact and were very much entertained.
Love that the last frame was just a partial when the impactor went to Space Heaven :D

[edit] The last ~70 seconds to impact.

Cheers!

Last edited:

day_trippr

Reaction score
Meanwhile, NASA has decided to roll the Artemis stack back into the Vertical Assembly Building to wait out Hurricane Ian. That likely pushes any launch date out a few weeks...

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Love that the last frame was just a partial when the impactor went to Space Heaven :D

Isn't there going to be another video in a few days that shows the hit? I haven't looked for info, but thought I remember something about the main satellite launched a camera to stay behind and record the impact.

Meanwhile, NASA has decided to roll the Artemis stack back into the Vertical Assembly Building to wait out Hurricane Ian. That likely pushes any launch date out a few weeks...

That's a smart move, plus they can continue to work on leaks longer now.

day_trippr

Reaction score
There was a cubesat bearing cameras trailing the impactor that hopefully caught everything...

day_trippr

Reaction score
Images from both the Webb and Hubble telescopes are up on the NASA DART mission pages.

Webb, Hubble Capture Detailed Views of DART Impact.

Also first images from the cubesat that trailed the impactor are up. Rather disappointing, hopefully there are mo' better images coming.

Cheers!

day_trippr

Reaction score
It truly is the groundbreaking feature of the entire program, and I'm still not bored seeing those touchdowns.
Especially since SpaceX has been relaying the feeds through their own Starlink network. Reliability has improved by a ton :)

OP
OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
It truly is the groundbreaking feature of the entire program, and I'm still not bored seeing those touchdowns.
Especially since SpaceX has been relaying the feeds through their own Starlink network. Reliability has improved by a ton :)

When SpaceX first did that, a Boeing exec stated aloud at a conference that they would never catch up to SpaceX. He was quickly fired :). (From the book “Liftoff”)