Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Might need to break these out again. Be safe, wear your helmet.
skylabhelmet.jpg

I see the map in the article labeled the Atlantic Ocean as "Sargasso Sea." Maybe the debris will land there and be devoured by seaweed. Go Bermuda Triangle!

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
All five layers of sun shield stretched out and secured!

"The unfolding and tensioning of the sunshield involved 139 of Webb’s 178 release mechanisms, 70 hinge assemblies, eight deployment motors, roughly 400 pulleys, and 90 individual cables totaling roughly one quarter of a mile in length."

Woof!

Next will be the secondary mirror deployment, then the radiator system final positioning, then they'll start unfolding the primary mirror wings...

Cheers!

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Another good day in space!

Mission controllers are ticking off the final major deployments needed to set up the new James Webb Space Telescope.
Wednesday saw the observatory's secondary mirror locked into position on the end of three 8m-long booms.
It sets the stage for the all-important unpacking of Webb's giant primary mirror - the biggest reflecting surface ever sent into orbit.

Next up for Webb is the main mirror itself. Its deployment should occur over the next couple of days.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
I know. It's scary. If this was a Hollywood production, right about now the background music would turn ominous ;)

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite yet, still have to make sure all 144 actuators used to focus that beast work after the next section of mirrors opens. Then que the music!

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Individual Mirror Segment Movements
Actuator testing and individual mirror segment deployments

The primary mirror wings are now fully deployed and latched into place, but the individual mirror segments remain in their launch configuration. This operation is a multi-day, multi-step activity to activate and move each of the 18 primary mirror segments and the secondary mirror from their stowed launch configuration to a deployed position ready for alignment.

The 18 primary mirror segments and secondary mirror are adjustable via six actuators that are attached to the back of each mirror. The primary mirror segments also have an additional actuator at its center that adjusts its curvature. The telescope's tertiary mirror remains stationary. The primary and secondary mirror segments will move a total of 12.5mm, in small increments, over the course of ~10 days to complete each segment's deployment.

After all individual mirror segment deployments are completed, the detailed optical mirror alignment process begins which is about a 3 month process. In parallel, as temperatures cool enough, instrument teams will turn on their instruments and begin each instrument's commissioning process.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
Right - they literally have only computer modeling to rely on that when the mirror segments have reached a stable, equilibrium temperature they can align all of the segments to provide a max strength coherent IR image. Woof...

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
A brilliantly clear cold day here transitioned to an equally cloudless dusk allowing an extended ISS sighting along with the latest string of Starlink satellites reaching around 60° and another two other random orbiters sighted in between. Pretty neat!

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The best animation of the James Webb Telescope orbit I found that made sense to me.

I am still amazed that everything so far has worked the way they said it would.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
I've only seen two strings of freshly launched Starlink sats pass overhead but both times it made my hair stand up it was so silently spooky looking :)

Today's SpaceX launch has some exceptional footage showing MECO, stage separation, MVAC 2nd stage burn and the booster flip-over and boost-back burn and a stunning landing. I don't recall seeing a launch with such clarity at MECO before...

Cheers!

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
There's a handful of reasons why the JWST did not include an actual "selfie-cam", but apparently there is a technical imager intended to aid in the lens segment alignment process that the operators were able to grab a rather spooky image from...

1644633770667.png

OP
OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
That's a huge gain in resolution power right there :rock:

View attachment 768657

Yes, but I wonder about the starburst in the better image. That's caused by the aperture diaphragm geometry as you close it down to reduce the light. I'd think that for space photography, it'd be wide open all the time.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
My guess is they were going for maximum depth and those bright bodies just blew out their pixels...

OP
OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
My guess is they were going for maximum depth and those bright bodies just blew out their pixels...

Pixels being saturated with light won't cause patterns like that. It's an optical effect before the light reaches the sensor.

that star pattern is caused by the blades of the mechanical aperture / iris of the camera (it's not some wonderful anomaly that god bestowed upon us when we take a picture of a star :) ) If the aperture below was used to make a picture of some point source (and if the aperture was stopped down to f/8.0, you would have seen 7 flares around that light. Count the blades. It becomes more apparent as you close the aperture.

I'd think that anyone doing astro photography would have this iris open wide (no flares, see f/1,4 below). No irregularity in the aperture, no flares.

Yea, there's more in this life than I will ever understand, but I'm standing by what I do know now.

1652489640739.png

Attachments

• 1652489927869.png
    1652489927869.png
    674.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1652489931387.png
    1652489931387.png
    674.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts