Spontaneous fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_General

Reaction score
I had some leftover wort while brewing yesterday so I thought I’d set it out and see what happens.

The wort had an OG of 1.036 and was all Pilsner. I do BIAB and it was the wort that came out after the bag was no longer draining into the kettle. I left it out overnight in my sunroom near an open window and today, a little over 24 hours later, it already has a nice Krausen on it.

I’m a little concerned that it is taking off so quick. I mashed at 150F and sparged using 185F water so the temperature should have been high enough to pasteurize it. I’m beginning to wonder if it didn’t though and if I’m just growing up bugs that were on the grain already. Has anyone had any luck making a spontaneous starter using a no boil approach like this?

I had some leftover wort while brewing yesterday so I thought I’d set it out and see what happens.

The wort had an OG of 1.036 and was all Pilsner. I do BIAB and it was the wort that came out after the bag was no longer draining into the kettle. I left it out overnight in my sunroom near an open window and today, a little over 24 hours later, it already has a nice Krausen on it.

I’m a little concerned that it is taking off so quick. I mashed at 150F and sparged using 185F water so the temperature should have been high enough to pasteurize it. I’m beginning to wonder if it didn’t though and if I’m just growing up bugs that were on the grain already. Has anyone had any luck making a spontaneous starter using a no boil approach like this?
I wouldn't worry too much. wouldn't be much bugs left alive. the wort would have gone through a slow cooling which would have helped any colonising microbes start. it's always going to be a risk whatever you have there. that's part of the fun.

Back