Splitting Yeast Bed into Two Five Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surface_Tension

Reaction score
What would be the best way to split the yeast bed from a finished batch among two five gallon batches to be fermented?

I was thinking I would pour in couple courts of sterilized water, swirl around, let settle for a few minutes, pour off liquid into two even amounts and then pitch.

What would be the best way to split the yeast bed from a finished batch among two five gallon batches to be fermented?

I was thinking I would pour in couple courts of sterilized water, swirl around, let settle for a few minutes, pour off liquid into two even amounts and then pitch.

Sounds good, I think it will work:mug:

Cool Thanks.

I was thinking of slitting because last time I made Edwort's Robust Porter, I racked right on top of a bed of Nottingham and the fermentation was little too vigorous.

I just wasn't sure there is enough yeast to split between two batches but I imagine there is.

It should be more than enough depending on your brew of course, mr malty.com has more info on this if you're interested.

Primary or Secondary? There is a lot more yeast in the primary.

I usually add a quart of water to the primary, swirl and pour into sanitized containers. I usually use 1/3 for a subsequent batch.

Primary.

I guess my though was I wanted to try and "wash" of some of the chunkies and pitch the slurry of suspended yeast amongst two batches. The bathes would be lower gravity so I think it should work.

I've washed yeast and put into masons to make starters out of like is in the sticky above, but I was just going to skip that process and pitch directly. I guess any chunkies really wouldn't hurt because they would settle anyway.

Back