Splitting Yeast Bed into Two Five Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Surface_Tension

Reaction score
What would be the best way to split the yeast bed from a finished batch among two five gallon batches to be fermented?

I was thinking I would pour in couple courts of sterilized water, swirl around, let settle for a few minutes, pour off liquid into two even amounts and then pitch.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
What would be the best way to split the yeast bed from a finished batch among two five gallon batches to be fermented?

I was thinking I would pour in couple courts of sterilized water, swirl around, let settle for a few minutes, pour off liquid into two even amounts and then pitch.
Sounds good, I think it will work:mug:

OP
S

Surface_Tension

Reaction score
Cool Thanks.

I was thinking of slitting because last time I made Edwort's Robust Porter, I racked right on top of a bed of Nottingham and the fermentation was little too vigorous.

I just wasn't sure there is enough yeast to split between two batches but I imagine there is.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
It should be more than enough depending on your brew of course, mr malty.com has more info on this if you're interested.

Calder

Reaction score
Primary or Secondary? There is a lot more yeast in the primary.

I usually add a quart of water to the primary, swirl and pour into sanitized containers. I usually use 1/3 for a subsequent batch.

OP
S

Surface_Tension

Reaction score
Primary.

I guess my though was I wanted to try and "wash" of some of the chunkies and pitch the slurry of suspended yeast amongst two batches. The bathes would be lower gravity so I think it should work.

I've washed yeast and put into masons to make starters out of like is in the sticky above, but I was just going to skip that process and pitch directly. I guess any chunkies really wouldn't hurt because they would settle anyway.