splitting the batc between keg and bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
Is it ok to prime 5 gal of beer with dextrose then keg half and bottle half does this save any money on the CO2.

If you have a 3 gallon keg, you're golden. If you have a 5, that's a lot of head space you'll have to purge with CO2.

You can put all 5 gallons into the keg after priming, purge the headspace with CO2, and let it carb up naturally. Just make sure you use a carbing calculator - priming in keg uses less sugar - and make sure to refrigerate before serving. Keg conditioned beer needs to be chilled well in order for all that CO2 to dissolve.

Wouldnt that headspace have to be filled even if i put the 5 gal in and drank 2 gallons? Or is there a reason the quantity of CO2 would be different?

If you just put the beer in the keg without the sugar then you'd need a little more CO2 to absorb into the beer to carbonate it. So I guess the sugar would possibly save you a little CO2.

Dudest said:
Wouldnt that headspace have to be filled even if i put the 5 gal in and drank 2 gallons? Or is there a reason the quantity of CO2 would be different?

It would either way, but you're looking to use the min amount of Co2, right? When I purge the headspace, I typically pressurize and bleed gas a few times so I don't oxidize my beer. You'd have to do that for 1/2 keg multiple times - that's a lot of wasted CO2. Plus you have to go through the effort of bottling when you could bottle off the keg later.

Back