Splitting Brew Day???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopowers

Gearhead who likes beer
Reaction score
Are there any downsides to splitting a brew day by mashing and lautering in the evening - say 7:00pm, then doing the boil the next morning - say, 10:00 am?

Will leaving the un-boiled wort overnight cause it to spoil?

Thanks.

I’ve done this as have others on this forum. There is a slight potential for spoilage, but it would be slightly soured after boiling the next day. Others talk about a slightly more fermentable wort.

For me, I mashed and sparged and then did a quick boil (for like 5 minutes)the night before. Stopped whatever enzyme process the mash was in and quick sanitation. Put a lid on the pot, go to bed, and started a 60 minute boil the next morning.

By the way, hello from just south of you; I’m in Elk Grove.

I’ve done this as have others on this forum. There is a slight potential for spoilage, but it would be slightly soured after boiling the next day. Others talk about a slightly more fermentable wort.

For me, I mashed and sparged and then did a quick boil (for like 5 minutes)the night before. Stopped whatever enzyme process the mash was in and quick sanitation. Put a lid on the pot, go to bed, and started a 60 minute boil the next morning.

By the way, hello from just south of you; I’m in Elk Grove.

Thanks for the input! A very slightly sour flavor is what I've experienced. It's very slight, but noticeable. Would a quick boil like you described reduce that souring (assuming that's the cause)? I don't get it doing normal full day brews.

Only one way to find out, right? :)
I have not noticed any difference between brewing all in one session vs evening mash/sparge/quick boil and wait to morning boil.
It does take time to get up to boil the next morning because the wort has cooled off. Good Luck!

Well, I think I had my first homebrew casualty (infection) after 3 years of brewing. We did another split brew day - mashed in the evening and did the boil the next morning and didn't bring it up to a boil until the morning after. Once the boil started the next morning, there was this faint 'putrid' odor. I chalked it up to the garbage on the side of the house and being a windy day. The process went as normal, gravity from 1.056 to 1.010. I did notice all along that the color wasn't as dark as normal (I think something wa up with the crystal malt). It's a VERY simple malt bill at 11 lb 2-row and 1 lb crystal 60.

I dry hopped with 1-oz Mosaic. Once the beer was carbed, I gave it a taste. It has a very prominent vomit-like smell, though the taste seems somewhat normal. After some quick research, I'm thinking butyric acid is to blame.

1) Do you think between the time the mash was done and the boil started (aprox. 14 hrs.) bacteria could have gone crazy enough to develop butyric acid? I would've thought the boil would've killed off whatever was in there.

2) Is there any way to save this batch and eliminate this odor?

I can't recall details, but I looked into this method for BIAB. When choosing between a 120V system or getting a 240V outlet installed, I thought maybe I could do an overnight mash. Then I can pull/drain the bag when I woke up, turn on the heat, then do my boil. It would make it a lot easier to deal with the speed of a 120V system.

When I researched it, I saw plenty of people saying it wouldn't work well. Something about what happens to the mash when it settles below a certain temperature. As mentioned earlier, I can't recall the details - but it was enough to make me not consider it as an option.

You would be better served to mash in right before bed then drain off in the morning and start your boil, as it will be easier to maintain a temp over 140F in your mashtun (assuming you are using an insulated tun of course). Anything below 140F will give bacteria a chance to take up shop.

I mash in at night then sparge and boil in the morning all the time. The catch is I have an eherms. I recirculate all night and maintain a constant temp without fluctuations. Only thing I have noticed is maybe dryer beers.

I do it all the time. Only had one instance of souring. It was when I left the wort sit out for three days. Definitely formed a pellicle. Once I boiled and fermented it was only a very slight souring. The end result was delicious.
In fact I’m thinking of intentionally doing that to a Pilsner.
The only downside is that I do waste a bit of propane. In the morning when I start the boil, I’m starting from 50f instead of 150f.
Other than that, I love this method.
Brewing two nights for 2.5 hours each is easier for me than brewing for half a day.

Back