Splitting between keg and Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdelap

Reaction score
Does anyone have a preferred way of doing this? I have thought about priming the whole batch with corn sugar, but is this the best way, should I only add enough sugar for the 2 gallons going to the bottle?

Just looking for what people have tried and what they felt worked best.

Thanks

I think the best way is to keg the entire batch and carb in the keg, then fill bottles with your preferred method (BeerGun, Counter Pressure, BM Bottle Filler, Bowie Bottler if you have Perlicks, etc.)

If I just had a 2.5G keg, I would siphon into the keg, carb with gas...put the other half into a bottling bucket and the appropriate amount of dextrose to bottle condition.

If I just had a 2.5G keg, I would siphon into the keg, carb with gas...put the other half into a bottling bucket and the appropriate amount of dextrose to bottle condition.

This seems much easier than fighting with the beer guns etc.

I recommend making 10 gallons, keg 5 and bottle 5. If I'm making 5 I either bottle the whole thing, or keg and do the we don't need no stinking beer gun method to bottle some of it.

For each 5 gal batch I keg all but 4 bottles. The keg I carbonate with CO2 and the bottles I use card tabs. Works like a charm! Just remember to purge the keg well of the air that would otherwise be not there if not for the bottling.

Back