Splitting Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I brew 5 gal extract batches and have wanted to divide the batch to do some expirementing. But the smallest fermenters I’ve only found are 3 gal. But I wonder about the head space for air since il only have 2.5 in there. Granted the yeast gas should displace any air but, still, I did this with Wine before and had issues. Thoughts? Worrying about nothing?

Worrying about nothing. You need headspace during primary fermentation. If you were to transfer to a secondary vessel, that's when you will want to reduce headspace to the very minimum.

If you're worried attach a blow off tube or use FermCap to keep the krausen from getting too big and blowing off the airlock. Just my two cents. Cheers!

I brew 5 gal extract batches and have wanted to divide the batch to do some expirementing. But the smallest fermenters I’ve only found are 3 gal. But I wonder about the head space for air since il only have 2.5 in there. Granted the yeast gas should displace any air but, still, I did this with Wine before and had issues. Thoughts? Worrying about nothing?

youll be fine, you need the oxygen at first for the yeast. I still fill the head space with c02 before air locking though.

Back