Splitting batches into 2 fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNut24

Reaction score
Is it advisable to split a 5 gal batch into two 5 gal fementors (2 1/2 gallons each)? I have a couple of buckets that hold exactly 5 gallons each that I was interested in splitting a batch of stout into and pitching a packet of Safale -04 into each? Will this work or do you think there'd be too much head space? Thanks.

Don

naw, that will work, it is only when racking to teh 2ndary that you'd have to much headspace. Air takes up like 1000x the space as the same amount of liquid (by weight), so the CO2 will easily displace all the rest of the air.

No problem at all. Headspace (too much) is a non-issue during primary fermentation. Your beer will have a 'cloud' of C02 on top of it, protecting the beer.

Some people split a batch to experiment with 2 different types of yeast on the same wort - fermented under the same conditions.

I do this all the time. You'll be fine.

If it's a recipe you really like, you could even add 20% more of everything, scale it up to 6 gallons and put three gals in each fermenter. That's an extra ten bottles! (Or run it through Brewsmith if you're like me and suck at math).

If this is from extract, make sure to really mix any top off water with the wort so you don't get half of it nearly pure water while the other half is concentrated.

what if you split one packet of yeast to the two fementors. just by eyeballing the amount of yeast and not measuring? is that advisable? I already did it. but wondering what you all think.

Back