Splitting an Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoman

Reaction score
I posted this in the recipes forum, but wasn't sure if that was the right place for it.

So I've got a couple brews under my belt now and for my next I'm planning the Clone Brew recipe for Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. To make things a little more exciting, I was thinking of experimenting a little bit and splitting the batch into two fermenters... the first would be the recipe as is, with the Wyeast Irish Ale yeast. The second would have Pacman cultured from a Rogue Shakespeare stout with some cold brewed coffee added in the secondary (or is adding at bottling a better way to do it?).

My question is if this will be a good way to start altering recipes a little and making the beer a little more personalized, or if it will just make for an overly funky half batch? Also, could anyone point me towards instructions for culturing the Pacman? I've searched the forums and read a little bit about it, but the details are still a little hazy.

Thanks!

I was just reading about Pacman yeast tonight in fact. From what I read most people are making a starter and just dumping in the last swirl of a Rogue beer most any of them from what I read but a Shakespear Stout is one of them, Put it on your stir plate and let er rip. I think in the range of 68-72 Deg F is going to work killer. You might want to step it up a few times to get a good cell count. I am thinking of doing this myself maybe after the belgian I am planing.
Good luck
JJ

Back