splitting a starter into 2 buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Lets say I want to make a 10 gallon batch, and have two buckets. If I make a starter, say 2 liters according to MrMalty, how do I split the starter into the 2 buckets evenly?

The problem I face is when I take the Eherlenmayer Flask off the stir plate, the yeast tends to settle. So if I just pour 1 liter into one bucket, it will be mostly liquid, while the other liter has the yest clumps.

Do you transfer the yeast into two intermediate 1 liter containers a few ounces at a time, so as to ensure an even amount of yeast in both? This wont be precise because the clumps will not be uniformly distributed.

Would transferring the starter to a container and shaking the hell out of it for a minute suspend the yeast clumps for long enough that I can split the two batches evenly?

How do you deal with making a starter for a 10 gallon batch that will be split into two 6.5 gallon buckets?

I split starters all the time, all I do is make sure it's stirred very good and all the yeast is mixed into the starter and not on the bottom of the flask and then pour 1/2 into one batch and the rest in the second batch, it's not really the most scientific way of doing it but I have never had any problems doing it that way.

Crash Cool the starter, decant the liquid.

Add some fresh wort (from the brew day) and swirl, the yeast will un-flocculate (if that's a word) with the addition of fresh wort. That will give you an even consistency that you can then split

Make one, then pitch it. Then make another and pitch that one. Starters are easy to make especially if you have the flask and a stir plate. 15-20 minutes if your beer sitting will be just done while waiting for the starter. Just keep it covered....seems simple enough to me.

I do this-

I use gallon glass jugs, no stirplate.

A week before Brew day I make a single starter just like normal - 4-5 cups water and a cup of DME. Add yeast, let it go for 3 days.

Cold crash over night to drop yeast out. Next day, take two new glass jugs, make two new starters - same thing- 4-5 cups water and a cup of DME for each.

Decant most of liquid and swirl up original starter very well. Pour about half into each of the gallon jugs with new wort. Goes another couple days until brew day. Brew two beers, got a nice good starter for each from one original smack pack.

Also, I usually save a mason jar of yeast after ferment is over, then just split that between two new starters next time around without building it up. This way I usually 4 beers out of one yeast or so. Sometimes 6. I usually start over at that point mainly due to paranoia of contaminating something somewhere along the line.

Why not just put it back on the stir plate for 5 minutes to suspend the yeast prior to pitching, then go straight from stir plate to pitching?

Why not just put it back on the stir plate for 5 minutes to suspend the yeast prior to pitching, then go straight from stir plate to pitching?

Exactly what I did. I had a split batch and I made one 2L starter with WLP001. I just left it on the stirplate until I needed to pitch and then sprayed starsan all over the flask and then carefully poured half on it into one bucket and the other half into the other. Its not very hard.

2 Mason jars. Pull from stir plate and keep swirling. Pour some in 1 mason and swirl. Pour some in 2nd mason and swirl. Pour some in 1st mason and swirl. Pour some in 2nd mason and swirl. Pour some in 1st mason and swirl. Pour som......... that's what I do anyways!!!

Back