Splitting 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm in the process of picking up a 2.5 gal keg and 20 oz co2/reg kit. I don't have the space for a kegerator in our condo, so I need a keg setup that will fit in our main fridge.

My question is:

I plan to continue brewing 5 gal batches and due to only having one 2.5 gal keg to begin with, I'm left with 2 options.. 1)bottle the remainder, or 2)can I rack the remaining to a 2nd fermenter until I am ready to use it? I'm assuming a 3 gal carboy is my best bet for this?

My thought is to rack the reminder to the carboy then let it continue to condition(not add priming sugar) until I empty the keg, then I can rack to the keg and proceed to carb the 2nd half of the batch.

Does this seem like the best way for me to proceed? Also can I use a 3 gallon bucket(does anyone sell one?) instead of a glass carboy. I like using buckets because they are so easy to clean.

Thanks all! I'm open to any further advice as to whether I am heading in the right direction with this setup. In the future I'm sure ill pickup a 2nd 2.5 keg and things will be even easier!

I would think you'd be okay putting the second half in a carboy. Since you obviously have a kegging solution, just top off the carboy with a good amount of CO2 to protect it from oxygen until you can get it into a keg.

I would get a second keg. Or, get a couple of 5 gallon kegs to hold your brew while you serve off the 2.5 gallon keg. You can make a simple jumper hose to go between the 5 and 2.5 gallon kegs (short section of 3/16" ID hose with swivel nuts on both ends for liquid QD's). Just watch the destination keg level on the first fill and you'll be fine. You can even get another CO2 system and have the 5 gallon kegs at least partially carbonated while you're drinking from the 2.5 gallon keg. The kegs will take up less floor space than carboys, or even buckets. :rockin: Depending on your setup, you could even stack them (depending on which ones you get).

Golddiggie, I like your idea, but I guess I'm trying to keep the cost down on this.. Ill pickup more items as time goes on, but as of right now I'm looking for the cheapest way to go about this(beyond purchasing the keg/reg/tank)

Pick up an used 5 gallon corny keg. Once you purge it of air, you can let it sit idle. IMO/IME, it's also safer than using another carboy for this. What happens if a carboy gets knocked over? You lose beer. If a keg gets knocked over, it makes a bang and you set it back upright. Zero brew loss. :rockin:

Pick up an used 5 gallon corny keg. Once you purge it of air, you can let it sit idle. IMO/IME, it's also safer than using another carboy for this. What happens if a carboy gets knocked over? You lose beer. If a keg gets knocked over, it makes a bang and you set it back upright. Zero brew loss. :rockin:

Can you recommend a place to pickup cheap 5 gal kegs? I looked on CL around my area and didn't see much...

Can you recommend a place to pickup cheap 5 gal kegs? I looked on CL around my area and didn't see much...

'Cheap' is pretty much done now. If you can find any for under $50 each GRAB them. The LHBS by me sells good (used) ones for just under $60 each. I picked up two not that long ago using a pair of $50 visa gift cards. :D MY cost was <$20, but total was much more.

I would get a second keg. Or, get a couple of 5 gallon kegs to hold your brew while you serve off the 2.5 gallon keg. You can make a simple jumper hose to go between the 5 and 2.5 gallon kegs (short section of 3/16" ID hose with swivel nuts on both ends for liquid QD's). Just watch the destination keg level on the first fill and you'll be fine. You can even get another CO2 system and have the 5 gallon kegs at least partially carbonated while you're drinking from the 2.5 gallon keg. The kegs will take up less floor space than carboys, or even buckets. :rockin: Depending on your setup, you could even stack them (depending on which ones you get).

Golddiggie, I've had a chance to think through this a bit more and I think what you wrote above is the best way for me to go. I've ordered the 2.5 gal keg to serve brew from my fridge and will plan to purchase two 5 gal kegs at some point to "hold" my brew while I empty the 2.5 gal cold keg. I'll pickup a 2nd reg/tank setup at the same time so I can be carbing the beer while it is stored in my basement at 60-65 degrees.

My goal was to come up with a overall gameplan on what to buy, so I am not wasting money on buying things that I won't use in the future. The 2.5 gal keg with compact 20 oz tank will make a great portable kit when I bring it to parties and such.

thanks for the advice!

I actually have two brews in a combination of keg sizes right now. All in the basement (ranging from about 51-54F today). I have them on CO2 (one of my regulators and two manifolds that can be interconnected) carbonating. With the room being as cool as it is, I expect these to be served at that temp. But, I can also use a jumper to pull from one of the kegs and either move it to the other, or to one of my 1 gallon corny kegs to bring someplace.

If you want to trek up to see what I'm doing, just let me know (shoot me a PM and I'll give you the address). I'm brewing tomorrow, so you could even see what I do there. :D

Back