Split up brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsonwarstler

Reaction score
I sometimes find myself in a situation where time is short but id like to brew. I've heard you can mash and sparge as normal, collect your boil volume, then heat to 180 to stop enzymatic activity, and store the wort overnight. Does anyone know about this? Actually thinking about doing this today as I'd like to make a yeast starter but forgot last night.

Australians use the "No-Chill" method of cooling wort due to the need to conserve water. There is (of course) hot debate over the issue, but it seems to work well for most who practice strict sanitation.

There is an article here with an experiment done using the no-chill method, a good thread here with info and a forum thread here regarding different styles.

Some argue about sanitation issues, DMS issues and a supposed tendency for no-chill methods to change the flavor characteristics of a beer, but it seems a common enough practice that if it were really flawed it wouldn't be so hotly debated.

I frequently break up the brewing schedule into several days. I might blend and grind the grain one day, mash and sparge the next, let the wort settle overnight and then siphon it off any flour that has dropped out. I've done this without heating it to pasteurize first, but to be extra safe it could be brought up to 170F (77C) and left to settle in a covered vessel. Then on the third day I boil the wort as usual and cool it as quickly as I can to start the ferment.

RobertRGeorge said:
I frequently break up the brewing schedule into several days. I might blend and grind the grain one day, mash and sparge the next, let the wort settle overnight and then siphon it off any flour that has dropped out. I've done this without heating it to pasteurize first, but to be extra safe it could be brought up to 170F (77C) and left to settle in a covered vessel. Then on the third day I boil the wort as usual and cool it as quickly as I can to start the ferment.

Have you ever experienced off flavors or anything different when letting the wort sit between the mash and boil?

I collected the wort for a porter today. Heated it to 180 and then covered my kettle and its just sitting in the garage. Going to boil it tomorrow and keep my process the same. If it goes well, I think I may do this more often... Kind of nice not having to spend the extra 2 hrs in the same day and it allows me to make my starter on brewday and not rushed the night before.

No I have not experienced off flavors. I use a well-fitting lid, and keep it closed (no peeking!) until I am ready to start the boil which--on the unlikely chance any critters survived the pasteurization--sterilizes the wort. If I need to, I first transfer it off any flour that has settled out.

Back