Split the Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just set the air lock on my IPA. Everything went as always, untill I checked the Specific Gravity. It is standing on 1.102 WHAT?? am I :drunk: ?? Wait...No, I'm not.
I stirred the wort and it is really 1.102. Right on 70 degrees, have glasses on.
Shouldn't this be about 1.050?
6.5 Pounds light LME
1 # Crystal Malt
1/2 # Victory

Steeped grain for 20 minutes at 165, add malt, boil, cut to 5 gallons.

Will ale yeast hold this much gravity?

I know...I know...RDWHAHB, BUT...Do I need to cut this down?
Thanks for the help.

For a 5 gallon batch, you are way off. should be around 1.053 according to promash. If you currently have a volume of 5 gallons at 1.102, you'd need 4.75 gallons to dilute down to 1.053. :eek:

Are you sure you stirred thoroughly after topping up to 5 gallons?

It is nearly impossible to be off by that much on an extract recipe.

Unless your bags of DME were in Kg, something is seriously wrong. I'd check the hydrometer.

Which yeast? Some can handle 10%.

Sorry. I was just stupid.
I figured that letting the water splash into my Ale Pale would mix the wort...WRONG. When I took a sample from the spigot on the bottom I got nothing but sugar. After stirring (With a spoon) the yeast in, and sitting for 5 hours, all is well. we are at 1.049, and the air lock is going like mad.

Thanks for the help, sorry for my stupidity.

Back