Split Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
I am planning to do a robust porter this weekend (our Christmas beer), a 4g batch. I am still learning AG, so assuming 65% efficiency, and I am using 10lb grain.

I plan to mash with 1.25qt, and that will give me approximately 8qt first runnings after absorption/deadspace (.5qt).

This means I need another 3.63g to get to my pre boil volume (including DS loss). I have been reading that 2 sparges (batch) normally yield better efficiency, so would like to try it out. However, that would give me a "sparge thickness" of about .75qt/lb.

Would this be too thick to adequately rinse the grain? Would it be better in this case to go with one sparge (about 1.5qt lb)?

Thanks!

When I first started I struggled with attempting to increase my efficiency and went the double sparging route and still wound up right around 65% brewhouse efficiency. I didn't really see an increase so I guess sparging was not my problem. A friend got a grain mill and after that I've bumped everything consistently up to 72% give or take a point here and there. So how's your crush? If you do it at the store run it through twice.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about lacking in efficiency much. As long as you know what you get on your system consistently you're good to go.

Since it's 10 pounds of grain, and 3.6 gallons of sparge water, I'd probably just do it in one addition. Otherwise, it'd be too thick to easily stir I"d think.

Excellent! That is what I was thinking but it is always nice to hear a second opinion from the more experienced!

Surely you knew I was saying 1.25 qt/lb :) My bad. Need the units!

:mug:

Nah, we know that's what you meant!

If you want to, you could mash a bit thinner, say 1.50- 2 quarts/pound and then use a bit less for the sparge.

Actually, now that I think about it that might be the way to go. Say you mash in with 1.5 quarts/pound, you'd get 2.75 gallons or so in first runnings. Then you could sparge with roughly 2.75 gallons to get your desired boil volume. That would maximize efficiency, give a great quality wort, and be a bit less work overall. That's what I'd do, but I have been mashing with 1.5- 1.75 quarts/pound lately and loving it!

Interesting... So close to a 50/50 between mash/sparge may give some more efficiency? Also thinking about doing a 90 minute mash because my crush isn't ideal.

Interesting... So close to a 50/50 between mash/sparge may give some more efficiency? Also thinking about doing a 90 minute mash because my crush isn't ideal.

Yes, I think getting equal runnings is a good plan. If you have any iodine (or Iodophor) you can test for conversion. Even with a poor crush, most mashes convert long before 60 minutes is up, unless using a lot of adjuncts.

adhomebrew10 said:
Surely you knew I was saying 1.25 qt/lb :) My bad. Need the units!

:mug:

:)

For 5 gal,
I do 15.5 qt for my mash for 60. Then sparge with 1.5 gal for 15. Then 3.5 for another 15.

I was sparging with a littlemore (.5 gal) but that ended up going into the fermenter and lowering efficiency.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, especially Yooper. I got 78.15% efficiency today doing 1.5qt/lb mash and 12 qt for sparge. My efficiency was so good I actually had to make a 5g batch instead of 4 to keep my OG the same as I expected - not a bad way to be wrong :rockin: I anticipated that may happen and had extra hops on hand to reconfigure.

Thanks!

Back