Split fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLOVE

Reaction score
Just picked up a copy of Beersmith 2. Really liked the mobile cloud option, and wanted to be able to create a running log of beers I brew regularly.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set-up a 10 gal brew, but then split batch for fermentation. For example, I've done a 10 gal batch of Saison and then fermented 1/2 with 3724 (Belgian Saison Yeast), and 1/2 with 3711 (French Saison Yeast). Fermentation temps ranged from 60 to 90, so I really do want to keep any notes, calendars, etc. as separate as possible. Clearly I could do this by setting up two 5 gal identical batches, but the mash schedule was for 10 gal, so that doesn't make sense. Just curious if this is even possible.

P

I don't know if there's a tool to split one batch but I've just made out separate batches in beersmith and It really only takes a couple of minutes.
I did an extract wheat beer that I split into 4 fermenters to test different adjuncts, although beersmith wasn't helpful to be honest as It had fery few of the fruit and spices that I was using.
I know that you've just bought beersmith and it is a great tool, but I would have a look at brewtoad.com (use to be hopville) I find it to do everying that beersmith does for free and it seems to have a wider range of yeasts, malts and other ingredients.

Worth a look. I really liked BrewTarget, but found that mash infusions often came up hot and I really wanted to track repeat brews without creating a new recipe each time. Beersmith is definitely not "high tech", but was on target for a three pilsners I brewed over the weekend. 25 gal of summer - just need to be patient with the lagering schedule.

I'll give Toad a look. . . Brewerfriend is another site that comes to mind, but I'm not a fan of having my recipes exclusive in the "cloud", and even less of yearly subscriptions.
P

Back