Split batches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
The grocery store here sells 3 gal water bottles for $8...
I have been thinking about splitting 5 gal batches to try different yeasts or hops for dry hopping...
Does this sound like a good idea...? Thanks

Splitting batches for experimentation is great! We brew 15 gallon batches but ferment and secondary in standard size vessels. We're always messing around with different dry-hopping and so on.

One thing: I don't think you want to use those water bottles. Most water bottles are #7 and will (supposedly) leach chemicals in to your wort. Look on the bottom of the water bottle for the recycling logo. If it doesn't have a #1 in it, I wouldn't use it. I think if you search the forum for "using water bottles" you will find more (and probably more accurate) information.

Good Luck!

I just looked at a Sparklets bottle and the recycle mark is so small I can't read it... (it is full)...
I will e mail a bro and have him check the spare bottles he has...I have a 3 gal better bottle but it was $23 plus tax...Thanks

I went to the store and all the water bottles are #7...Thanks for the tip...I am going to order some of the right ones.

I split a batch using the #7 bottles. Used an ale yeast S-05 in one and lager yeast in another to compare. When I went to wash the bottles with oxyclean found the bottoms were brittle and cracked while washing it, just from the pressure of holding the bottle and inverting it back and forth. Couldn't do a second batch in either. Maybe it was the oxyclean (but it was only in it for at most a half hr) but I think it was the acids in the beer that changed the plastic. Won't waste the money or effort again so with the last kit/grain I purchased I bit the bullet and ordered a 3 G BB (didn't add to the shipping so felt it was worth it) and will order another in a month or two. Just my $.02 worth of experience.
Ben

make sure you don't shake the plastic bottles by rocking them on the floor. They aren't built for that and crack (even the better bottles). Better bottles advocates putting a tennis ball under the carboy to support it while you shake

Back