Split batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I want to brew tomorrow, well everyday, but I am planning on brewing tomorrow. My pipeline is getting dangerously low due to kid and work functions so I want to do a double batch instead of a back to back brew day. My goal is to brew a 10 gallon batch and split it into 2 beers, one Hefeweizen and one Dunkelweizen. I have a nice fresh wash of WL Hefeweizen ready to go, and the malt is ready to be crushed first thing in the am, but I am not sure the best way to approach this. I usually use my ten gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches, but this time I think I am going to use my buddy's keggle. I also have access to a second mash tun and I am not sure how to accomplish this. Anybody have any pointers?

Have you considered a partigyle?
One big mash, take the 1st running for the bigger beer, and the second runnings for the smaller beer. You can combine runnings in different proportions to get the pre-boil gravity you need.

The other option is one big mash, lauter and sparge normally, then split the total gathered wort in two. Then boil the first one with one hop schedule, and the second one with another.

Yeah, what I am trying to figure out is how to do one large mash which is not a problem , and turn half the wort to a dunkel and half to a hefe. Not sure how to get half of the wort turned in the dunkel half.

You could try steeping dark grains in the dunkelweisen wort like in extract w/specialty grain brewing.

Back