Splenda/Honey/Sugar + Rainbow Root beer results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well i decided to try and mess with the recipe a little and go for a psuedo diet root beer. I used 110g (3.88 oz) of splenda, to be equivalent to 2 lbs of sugar. I used 1 3/4 cups of honey, and 2 cups (roughly 1 lb) of sugar.

The result!

TASTY! I haven't made it with just sugar to have anything to compare to (i made a batch of rainbow birch beer with just sugar and it was a hit) But there is a slight honey aroma that comes through. It also is a bit sweet, so if I were to do it again I'd probably either leave out the sugar, or use 1 cup. but YUM!! :)

Excellent! Thanks for posting your results.

I am glad you had a better experience with honey in root beer than me! Mine tasted horrible (McCormicks Root Beer Extract).

Keep up the experimenting!

Do not use Splenda. It is a chlorine molecule attached to sugar...

Made from tastes like sugar is not a reality.

Instead of Splenda use Stevia root powder. It is safe but the FDA of America has not allowed it to be legally sold in soft drink products. In Europe they allow it.

In the US it is to be sold only as a nutritional supplement.

Instead of Splenda use Stevia root powder. It is safe but the FDA of America has not allowed it to be legally sold in soft drink products. In Europe they allow it.

To each their own I suppose, I don't mind the taste of splenda, and it's a little better for ya.

The root beer was a huge hit over the holidays!

The sell the Stevia sugar substitue now in the grocery store. It's marketed under the name Truvia. It's very comparable in flavor as Splenda only without the chlorine. Be forewarned, it's one h*** of a lot sweeter.

Cheers,

Joe :mug:

The sell the Stevia sugar substitue now in the grocery store. It's marketed under the name Truvia. It's very comparable in flavor as Splenda only without the chlorine. Be forewarned, it's one h*** of a lot sweeter.

Cheers,

Joe :mug:

Awesome. I didn't know stevia and truvia was the same stuff. I just got my Rootbeer extract so we will have to try all the different surgars and see what we think.

Chlorine is a not added as a molecule in Splenda and the element chlorine is used to replace elements in the sugar molecule (so much for the mustard gas myth perpetuated by the sugar lobby here in the US). Table salt has the element chlorine in it as well, do you avoid using it?

It does taste just like cane sugar (sucrose) for 95% of the population that do not have hypersensitivity to chlorine. Stevia is a good option but there is some concern why the FDA hasn't approved it, just because Europe allows it (lower food additive standards than here, BTW) doesn't mean it's a good thing.

I've used Splenda to back sweeten cider and in taste testing there is no difference in the taste between it and lactose (also used to back sweeten without additional fermentation).

Truvia is a specific brand name of Stevia. There are many others. I am not sure about the whole FDA thing, but there are indeed soft drinks being produced that are sweetened with stevia, such as the Zevia line of sodas. There are also many food products which contain it. I work in a natural food/supplement store and stevia/ stevia products are some of the hottest items we carry.

Back