Splashing when transferring from primary to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
I know it's ok to splash when you put the wort in the primary - encouraged, even, for the oxygen issues - but how about when I transfer to my secondary?

I'm going to be doing that for the first time - more as an experiment than anything else; my first two batches were fine without a secondary fermenter - and I just thought I'd ask if it mattered.

Thanks!

You'll want to avoid splashing your beer as much as possible when transferring to the secondary. Once the fermentation process starts, you'll want to keep oxygen out of the picture for the rest of the beer making process you'll oxidize it.

Exactly what the guys above said is my take on it. The only time I want oxygenation is post-boil after cooling my wort but before fermentation has started. At all other times I avoid aeration/oxygenation.

This is one of those things I really don't have any proof on and have never experimented with - just always heard it and thought "I don't want to chance 5g or 10g on this." I've accidentally splashed some in the past when I shouldn't have and didn't notice anything, though, so if it happened again I wouldn't be freaking out.

Has anybody ever actually experience the dreaded hot-side aeration or oxygenation off-flavors in a finished beer? How long does it take to develop?

Due to the incorrect size tubing on my auto siphon, I added a lot of air to my hefewiezen when racking to secondary. I have noticed no typical oxidation tastes after 3+weeks in bottles.

On that note, I say it is import to try to avoid but it is not the most important thing to worry about. . .don't let your beer become infected because you were so worried about oxidation.

Back