Spilled Yeast Packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaman

Reaction score
After finishing my first official homebrew beer that didn't use a prehopped malt or a kit yesterday, I was waiting for the wort to cool down to pitch the yeast. Once it finally got down to temp, I was opening the yeast packet and accidentally dropped it onto the floor of my bathroom, spilling about half the packet. I went ahead and dumped the remainder of the packet into the bucket, sealed the lid and hoped for the best. This morning there is plenty of airlock activity, so it's definitely working. I just have two questions that didn't get answered by searching...

Am I correct in my assumption that yeast replicates itself as it eats the sugars in the wort?

Did I just get lucky or will the lack of yeast cause fermentation to die out early?

1) Yes, yeast will grow itself and make babies
2) It shouldn't die out, it may have taken a little longer than normal to get started, but it doesn't look like you had that problem.

No worries and remember: Don't cry over spilled yeast.

Back