Spilled 1/2 my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffeman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Help! I just spilled a bunch of my starter.
I was taking it off the stir plate and some how dropped it, at least 1/2 of my 1L starter dumped on the counter.
The starter was going all night and should have been finished, I had some left over wort last night that I "CANNED", (Boiled in a mason Jar for 10min), so I just dumped that in and filled it back up. Only issue is it was only around 1.035 as I added a bit more water to fill the jar before putting it in the water bath.

So what do you think
I 'm planing on brewing on Monday, and was going to cold crash it tonight and decant before I brewed on Monday.

I'd start over. You can pitch straight from the stir plate Monday. You'll probably be ok with adding some more wort and stirring overnight but if you're like me, if any thing isn't right with that batch, you're gonna blame this spill.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey Giraffeman, I would just dump in your "Canned" wort to this starter, even though it's og is a little be lower, Not by much . 1.037 is recommended. And I think lower is better than a higher og. I just bought an "OLD" pack of wyeast (4 months old) I had to step it up anyway for 11 gal batch. But I too had leftover wort that was like 1.029. I used it, I just used a little bit more. Turned out great. If you did it now, I think you would be all right even if you just cold crashed over Sunday night. You could have added a little DME to it too.

Speaking of DME, I'm needing to split a 50 pounder again.......Remember in the parking lot LOL They all were laughing about the split. I think we set a precedent that day, Cause I seen dme splits after those buys we made.

Well it looks like I'm just going to start over; after a few hours with the added wort it just does not look right, Just flat no krausen. Brewbama your right no matter how the finished beer turned out I would always be wondering if the yeast played a roll in it. I might be Just a bit paranoid but better safe then sorry
So off to the LHBS tomorrow for more wlp004. I'll just have to make a new Starter and pitch at high krausen.

Esmitee yeah the group buy was a great thing. Too bad its changed and now it's so far for me to go. Also I don't think DME is even on the list anymore.
I'm working on getting (building), an All-grain setup, (brutis10 style), but "life" keeps getting in the way so Extract has to do for now. One day I'll be back in the buy.

Well it looks like I'm just going to start over; after a few hours with the added wort it just does not look right, Just flat no krausen. Brewbama your right no matter how the finished beer turned out I would always be wondering if the yeast played a roll in it. I might be Just a bit paranoid but better safe then sorry
So off to the LHBS tomorrow for more wlp004. I'll just have to make a new Starter and pitch at high krausen.

Esmitee yeah the group buy was a great thing. Too bad its changed and now it's so far for me to go. Also I don't think DME is even on the list anymore.
I'm working on getting (building), an All-grain setup, (brutis10 style), but "life" keeps getting in the way so Extract has to do for now. One day I'll be back in the buy.

Keep that starter. A few hours is not enough time. Put it into a sanitized container and do the intermittent shake and swirl method while you do another starter on the stir plate.

Use this calculator for what you might have left from your first try and how your step up will end.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Well if you will be freaking out the whole time it's fermenting and after, Then by all means dump it, and start over.
I can't think of anything being wrong with it, except that you have less yeast after your spill. Im taking it you put it back on the stir plate. Most of the time on the stir plate I never see krausen. I just think it needs more time to build up. Good luck either way. Hope it turns out a great batch. It looks to me, those group buys didn't turn out well 1 or 2 times after we did the splits. It's a a shame, cause they were a great deal. Yes, LIFE does consume a lot of time LOL
:mug:

Why not cold crash the starter, then decant and start a new starter with your 'old' starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Keep that starter. A few hours is not enough time. Put it into a sanitized container and do the intermittent shake and swirl method while you do another starter on the stir plate.

Use this calculator for what you might have left from your first try and how your step up will end.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Thanks for the link. I like this calculator better then the Mrmalty one!

I think I'll keep it going all night and check it tomorrow. Then do the intermittent shake and swirl method while putting a fresh starter on the stir plate. I'll use the new one for the batch on Monday,(Irish Red), and take the first one, crash; then build it up again to a 2 Liter, (if possible), and make a Stout.

Back