Spike Solo Owner's Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Biggz1313

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Would you mind attaching a pic of your custom basket? I'm also going the route of ditching the Spike basket and was planning on the whole false bottom + brewbag... Never even considered a different basket.
Here she is. I got it just a tad bit too tall so I the lid to the kettle rests on top of the basket so if you decide to go this route allow for more room than you think when it comes to height of the basket. It doesn't really effect anything really it's just a little tall. Also don't spend the money on the press plate, you can just go to webstaueantstore.com and buy a stainless steel pan lid that works just as good and is less than half the price of the press plate they offer.

Attachments

• PXL_20220807_023059213.jpg
    PXL_20220807_023059213.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220807_023027928.jpg
    PXL_20220807_023027928.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

HopChef

Reaction score
Here she is. I got it just a tad bit too tall so I the lid to the kettle rests on top of the basket so if you decide to go this route allow for more room than you think when it comes to height of the basket. It doesn't really effect anything really it's just a little tall. Also don't spend the money on the press plate, you can just go to webstaueantstore.com and buy a stainless steel pan lid that works just as good and is less than half the price of the press plate they offer.
Very interesting. Do you have any issues with clarity or do you get sufficient flow through the grain bed to end up with clear wort? That would be my only concern with the technique, but if you've got that figured out and are getting consistent extraction over 80% then kudos!

Biggz1313

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting. Do you have any issues with clarity or do you get sufficient flow through the grain bed to end up with clear wort? That would be my only concern with the technique, but if you've got that figured out and are getting consistent extraction over 80% then kudos!
I use whirlfloc in the boil but otherwise I rack borderline crystal clear wort to the fermenter. I even pull this basket out before boil and use a big stainless steel frying pan lid to squeeze as much out of the basket as I can. This is a much more enjoyable and more consistent brew process compared to the Spike basket. Did the Spike basket work? Absolutely! Is this method easier, less time intensive, more efficient, and allows me to use the full potential of my 15g kettle (no dead space) IMHO 1000% yes.