Spike Flex with Thermowell AND Sample Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fathers Day is coming up, and I may put in a request for a new fermenter. Is there a way to get a Spike Flex fermenter with both a Thermowell and a Sample Valve? I know I can get it on the CF, but I don't have the need nor the room for a conical. If I'm forced to choose only one, I'll go with the thermowell, but I'd like to have both, if possible. Is there another brand of stainless steel fermenter, similar in size to the Spike Flex, on which I can get a thermowell and sample valve?

Fathers Day is coming up, and I may put in a request for a new fermenter. Is there a way to get a Spike Flex fermenter with both a Thermowell and a Sample Valve? I know I can get it on the CF, but I don't have the need nor the room for a conical. If I'm forced to choose only one, I'll go with the thermowell, but I'd like to have both, if possible. Is there another brand of stainless steel fermenter, similar in size to the Spike Flex, on which I can get a thermowell and sample valve?

It looks like if you go with the plus version, or upgrade your own parts to use tri-clamp fittings, you can just throw a TC sample valve onto the TC butterfly valve whenever you want to take a sample through the racking cane. The nice thing about tri clamp parts is they're interchangeable. If you wanted to, you could throw a 4 way cross TC fitting and have 3 more TC fittings to use. It might stick out real far off your vessel but the sky's the limit. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0152/1071/files/Flex_Plus_Product_Guide.pdf?v=1594222645

I started looking at the Flex+ a couple of weeks ago...nothing serious, but enough to wonder the same thing. I'm kinda thinking this might work for thermowell / blow off...which would free up that secondary port for sampling or whatever you choose??

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/1.5-Inch-Tri-Clover-Blow-Off-Tube-with-Thermowell.html

I emailed Spike today, and Stephanie in customer service was very helpful. Here's what she told me:

Me: Is there a way to install/use both a thermowell and sample port on the Flex fermenter (i.e., can I get a Flex with two 1.5" TC secondary ports)? Thanks!

Spike: You can use one port for the thermowell, and attach the sample vale to the other end of the butterfly valve on the drain port.

Me: So, if I wanted to have both a thermowell and a sample valve, would I need to order the following?
-Flex fermenter
-1.5" TC Butterfly Valve
-TC Thermowell
-TC Sample Valve
Then, I'd install the butterfly valve on the drain port, attach the sample valve to the butterfly valve, and attach the thermowell to the secondary TC port? I'm not really familiar with TC valves; would I need anything else to attach the sample valve to the butterfly valve?

Spike: My apologies, are you looking to order a Flex or a Flex +?

Me: The Flex.

Spike: Sorry for the confusion.
There really isn't any way to attach the sample valve and the thermowell at the same time with the Flex.
You would have to purchase a new TC Racking arm, Butterfly Valve, and the Sight Glass with the required number of clamps and gaskets necessary in order to accomplish this.
Another, more simpler, way to sample beer with your Flex while using the thermowell is to purchase an NPT x Barb or an MNPT X MQC, and attach it to the end of your ball valve.
This would focus the flow from your drain port. If you opened the valve slightly and slowly, you'd be able to take a sample form the drain valve this way.

Back