Spike Complete System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeerMedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, I searched and did't find anything.

Has anyone purchased this system? If so, what size and have you brewed on it yet? I am on the fence about getting one versus piecing one together. I do like their kettles, and would use them in my system probably anyway. Just looking for actual user experiences. Please no flaming. :mug:

I do not have their specific system. However I did have them weld me a custom HERMS setup of their V2 kettles a couple years ago.

Overall I am pleased with the experience albeit there were a few issues. The sightglass on all three kettles read differently when calibrating volume by weight. Both the HERMS coil and Falsebottom I purchased from them had some issues as well although with the v2 kettles those were manufactured elsewhere.

The panel they are selling in the kit looks to me to be the Ebrewsupply.com panel with a Spike nameplate. I built an Ebrewsupply panel and have been very pleased with it.

If I were doing it all over again I would buy/build the ebrewsupply panel and would be fine using spike for the hlt and boil kettle although i would skip a sight glass on the boil kettle. I personally would find a G1 Blichmann for my mash tun over trying out a spike mash tun again.

I swapped out my V2 spike mash tun with a jaybird false bottom for a Blichmann. I never had the results I hoped for with the spike/jaybird combo. Their kettle and false bottom design is different now so this may not be an issue any longer.

I was just going to post something about this as well. I am looking at their set up for the 15 gallon pots but with the system being fairly new I just wanted some feedback before dropping $5,000.00 on the setup. I have some time as well since I am in the beginning process of building out my basement brewery. Might wait to see if there are any sales on the system too.

If they are reading I wouldn't mind being a "test" person and providing feedback on the product at a discounted price of the unit. :)

I just bought the 1BBL Spike system. I won't be getting it until February though, so I can't contribute anything about how well it works at this time! I will report back after a few brew days

I was just going to post something about this as well. I am looking at their set up for the 15 gallon pots but with the system being fairly new I just wanted some feedback before dropping $5,000.00 on the setup. I have some time as well since I am in the beginning process of building out my basement brewery. Might wait to see if there are any sales on the system too.

If they are reading I wouldn't mind being a "test" person and providing feedback on the product at a discounted price of the unit. :)

This is exactly where I am. I want some feedback before dropping $5800 on the 30 gallon setup I want. I do know one thing though, I will forgo the brewing table. For $750 I can make a REALLY nice wooden one with custom pump mounts and have enough left for a grain mill and grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up the 20 gallon system. Haven't gotten a chance to brew with it yet. I was going to build my own panel and have spike weld up the pots. I ended up getting everything from them. It just seemed easier to buy everything at once and much faster than spending nights to wire the panel. I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, I still need to run power and finish the ventilation.

One thing I can tell you is that spikes customer service is amazing. I had a good amount of presale questions and even more post sale. They always answered everything fast.

I found this on Amazon that I think will work nicely for half the cost and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M87WHIQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I don't think that table would be able to hold the weight without added support. We have caved in SS prep tables that size at work. I think it was 7 60lb case of mozzarella that did it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up the 20 gallon system. Haven't gotten a chance to brew with it yet. I was going to build my own panel and have spike weld up the pots. I ended up getting everything from them. It just seemed easier to buy everything at once and much faster than spending nights to wire the panel. I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, I still need to run power and finish the ventilation.

One thing I can tell you is that spikes customer service is amazing. I had a good amount of presale questions and even more post sale. They always answered everything fast.

I don't think that table would be able to hold the weight without added support. We have caved in SS prep tables that size at work. I think it was 7 60lb case of mozzarella that did it in.

I'll second this. I asked dozens of questions over a couple months before eventually buying. Their customer service was top notch. Fast/knowledgeable.

I have pretty much that system they are selling in 15 gallon form, I just didn't know I was getting that at the time. I worked with them in May on the kettles and they gave great feedback on adjustments I should make while they were fine tuning their complete system (I assume). I also got a panel from ebrew supply with a BCS-462 installed. Overall, I am very happy with the what I got from both companies.

I've only run a few tests for leaks and boil off on the system though and was waiting to make a thread about it until I did my first batch. I like reading about other peoples systems and wanted to contribute but just ran out of time last weekend to brew and post up the results.

This is exactly where I am. I want some feedback before dropping $5800 on the 30 gallon setup I want. I do know one thing though, I will forgo the brewing table. For $750 I can make a REALLY nice wooden one with custom pump mounts and have enough left for a grain mill and grain.

Please don't take a beautiful system like that and put it on wood!

I have the 20 gallon system with a 50 amp panel, and I've brewed 5x on it. The price is not that bad unless you want to build your own panel, which I didn't want to do.

I have the 20 gallon system with a 50 amp panel, and I've brewed 5x on it. The price is not that bad unless you want to build your own panel, which I didn't want to do.

Was there a large price jump for the 50amp panel? Was thinking about that as well so I can run both elements if I was doing back to back brews.

On a side note if you buy the prepunched and predrilled panel kit from Ebrewsupply the build time for me with 0 electrical experience outside of changing a few house fixtures, was 16-20 hours. I worked on it at night for a couple hours when I had time. It was fun and a learning experience. I feel confident that if I needed to replace any part for repair I could. Which is nice. Because I choose the painted enclosure I saved $550 which is about $27.5/ hour I worked on it which is a hell of a lot more than a stay at home dad makes per hour : p

before i bought the spike system I would definitely consider pricing out everything separately and then making a decision. The panel really isn't hard to build and Ryan @ ebrewsupply has been great in my experience.

I also have come to the opinion after using spike v2, Blichmann, SsBrewtech, and Bayou Classic kettles that the boil kettle and hlt kettle need to be able to hold liquid and that is it. If doing it again I would find the least inexpensive yet still quality kettles for those two spots.

Kettles - Spike, SsBrewtech, Blichmann, Update International Etc.

Mash tun - This is the only kettle where I think the name brands actually matter unless you are pro at diy mash tuns which I never was.

Fittings - Bargain fittings, brew hardware (all the same Chinese stuff)

Pumps - wherever they are on sale or used

Panel - Ebrewsupply (where I think spikes are from)

Coil stainless brewing (where spike used to source theirs)

Just my two cents... piecing out is a bit daunting butI have no doubt you can save $750 - $1000 parting it out which is 4-5 ssbrewbuckets or possibly a couple of spikes new conicals.

I too have been looking into getting this system. I currently live in Okinawa, Japan and not brewing at the moment :(, just don't have the room for it. So my plan is to research the hell outta of herms setups and herms brewing in general till i get back to the states in just over 2 years. so i have a few questions on the setup.

1: I see that it is a 240v system. So will this plug into just any household outlet or does it have to be on its own breaker.
2: For those os you that have the system and have made a few batches on it are you seeing the efficiency above 90% like stated in the videos?

I will also be looking around and trying to piece together everything to see which route would be cheaper and maybe save myself some money. with that said where would be a good place to start for not only cheap but good quality as well. Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing some feed back.

1: I see that it is a 240v system. So will this plug into just any household outlet or does it have to be on its own breaker.

It requires either a 30a or a 50a 240 GFCI (so you don't die) breaker. Standard dryer 30a or stove 50a breakers do not have GFCI capability. You can swap out the dryer breaker and wiring for a gfci breaker if you are limited on space in the box. You would have to unplug the dryer to use use the system though and the cost at that point wouldn't be much different price wise from running a new outlet.

There is also the option of running a 50a spa panel which has a built in gfci. For many people this is the least expensive route.

The place to start all research on EHERMS is theelectricbrewery.com

2: For those os you that have the system and have made a few batches on it are you seeing the efficiency above 90% like stated in the videos?

I have no idea how people get those numbers. I've varied my mill gap from .39 to .60, sparge for 60 minutes and I can't get over 72%. On my bucket system, I would get 75%+ and sparge for only 30 mins.

*My opinion* It is a personal decision. The Spike equipment and service is excellent and it is nice to have pretty much everything you need at one purchase. It IS a lot of money and adds a lot of complexity(2 pumps, multiple vessels to clean, balancing mash temps, etc). Brewing in coolers was much more simple.

On a side note if you buy the prepunched and predrilled panel kit from Ebrewsupply the build time for me with 0 electrical experience outside of changing a few house fixtures, was 16-20 hours. I worked on it at night for a couple hours when I had time. It was fun and a learning experience. I feel confident that if I needed to replace any part for repair I could. Which is nice. Because I choose the painted enclosure I saved $550 which is about $27.5/ hour I worked on it which is a hell of a lot more than a stay at home dad makes per hour : p

before i bought the spike system I would definitely consider pricing out everything separately and then making a decision. The panel really isn't hard to build and Ryan @ ebrewsupply has been great in my experience.

I also have come to the opinion after using spike v2, Blichmann, SsBrewtech, and Bayou Classic kettles that the boil kettle and hlt kettle need to be able to hold liquid and that is it. If doing it again I would find the least inexpensive yet still quality kettles for those two spots.

Kettles - Spike, SsBrewtech, Blichmann, Update International Etc.

Mash tun - This is the only kettle where I think the name brands actually matter unless you are pro at diy mash tuns which I never was.

Fittings - Bargain fittings, brew hardware (all the same Chinese stuff)

Pumps - wherever they are on sale or used

Panel - Ebrewsupply (where I think spikes are from)

Coil stainless brewing (where spike used to source theirs)

Just my two cents... piecing out is a bit daunting butI have no doubt you can save $750 - $1000 parting it out which is 4-5 ssbrewbuckets or possibly a couple of spikes new conicals.
Thats how I built my (3) 16 gallon vessel /rims electric brewery with 3 pumps and 3 glycol chilled stainless conicals for less than $2500 total. I average 86% efficiency on it. My $300 control panel would have been just shy of a grand to build myself If I bought all the stuff from aubrerins4 years ago when I made it..

I have the 20 gallon Spike System. They were great to deal with as far as answering any questions I had before ordering and taking care of a couple minor issues after I received it.

I have done 3 brews on it so far and I really like it. It hold the temps perfectly. I am still working on my efficiency numbers since I have yet to have hit the mid 80's which they claim is definitely possible. I don't think its the equipment though, probably more on my end.

Hi all, I'm bringing back this thread because I've had this 20 gallon system for a few months now and have done 6 or 7 brews on it (I went from your typical home depot cooler gravity system. Long story short is that it's amazing and I highly recommend it - it's absolutely worth the money, but it takes A LOT of getting used to if you want it to be extremely accurate as advertised (I was always mid-80s in terms of mash efficiency on my gravity system and I've only gotten there once on this system so far - please note that this is my own fault as I continue to dial in the system - it is completely capable of achieving very high efficiency). Here is a list of things I've learned (my BK, MLT, and HLT are positioned left, center, right, respectively with the panel on the far right next to the HLT):

1. Very convenient to read temps now by looking at the control panel - no more bringing out the thermopen for every readying.

2. I use the immersion chiller still and start up the whirlpool to increase the chilling effect (as opposed to the CFC they advertise) - it works well, but I've never used a CFC, so I can't compare. To save water I pump the first hotter 20 gal of waste chilling water into the MLT and the 2nd less hot 20 gallons into the HLT and discard the rest. MLT first since it can't be directly heated - if it is still to cold and needs to be heated to the recommended 160F for PBW I recirculate in the HERMS (I bring the HLT that contains the HERMS to a boil). HLT doesn't need PBW since it's just water. PBW cleans MLT then move it to boil kettle. Move boiling water in HLT to MLT to boil kettle. So, all-in-all to clean I move PBW thru followed by a boiling water rinse. They say it's all CIP - I haven't found this to be true. I find before I do any of the above I need to completely clean all the spent grain out of the MLT (obvious) and all of the trub and hop debris out of the boil kettle. I tried doing the CIP while leaving all that crap in the boil kettle and it just made a mess.

3. I did the bargain cave deal to save a lot of money and the kettle etchings for volumes were missing (why it was so cheap) - I knew this going into it and didn't care because the sight glasses take care of volumes. I wanted to make sure they were accurate so I added in known volumes to the boil kettle (heating element and dip tubes displace negligible amounts of water, so they don't really affect measurements if you were wondering) - leveled the kettle and found that 5 gallons was accurate, 10 gallons measured as 10.2 gallons and 15 gallons measured as 15.4 gallons (so a 0.2 increase in reading for every 5 gallons after the initial 5). This will probably be the same for all 20 gallon spike systems, but I'd recommend doing it yourself for your own sanity.

4. Boil off rates vary for me since I'm in a garage with the rolling doors open - cooler windy days more boils off and hotter, humid, mild days much less. Theelectricbrewery, which also has a 20 gallon HERMS system boasts a 1.9 gallon / hour boil off rate, but Kal has a hood for proper ventilation and is indoors in a basement where the atmosphere is constant, so I'm sure it's the same everytime if you have a proper indoor setup. I've had anywhere from 1 gal / hr to 1.7 gal / hr (usually around 1.3-1.4 gal/hr).

5. If I did it over I'd go for a more powerful panel that has the option of powering 2 elements at once - this would save me a lot of time in getting cleanup water ready during the boil rather than having to wait until I start chilling. I could also do back-to-back batches much easier with this convenience. I have the 30 amp panel and can only power one element at a time. It may be hard to picture if you have gone through it, but it is something I would really do differently.

6. Their SS table they offer is very expensive. I found a much cheaper, but equivalent table (same size and gauge) on the webstaurant website. I also chose an option with a nice back-splash! The caster option SEEMS nice, so I got those, but don't bother - when 40-60 gallons of liquid is resting on that table it becomes FAR too wobbly when on wheels. I switched back to the sturdy bullet feet that came with it and it's super sturdy now.

7. Thoroughly read Kal's "Step-by-step brewday" on theelectricbrewery.com if you haven't - it's EXTREMELY useful in both making your brewday on this system very efficient time-wise (first brew day on this system was 12 hrs including cleaning - now I'm around 8 hrs) as well as achieving high mash efficiency. I've followed his methods here and got up to 86%, but then down to 70% the next time (again, still learning and dialing in this system). Anyway, the point here is he's very experienced, very bright, and has a 20 gallon electric HERMS system - pretty much the exact system we're talking about, so it's worth the read since nearly everything is applicable.

8. Boil kettle dead space is 1-7/8 gallons, probably around 2 gallons if you consider hoses, pumps, etc. MLT dead space below false bottom is 1/2 gallon and that in HERMS coil and hoses is probably another 1/4 to 1/2 gallon, so I say 3/4 to 1 gallon total. Some people say MLT dead space is when the wort stops coming out of the drain (if this is the case it's the same as the boil kettle at 2 gallons), but I think MLT dead space is the wort that is not in contact with the grain (below false bottom and in hoses, HERMS coil, and pump) and really only impacts your mash ratio.

9. I've been filling my HLT to the near top with about 20 gallons of water since I've found that not immersing the HERMS coil completely changes things with MLT temp ramp speeds. I want consistency, so I keep the whole thing immersed every time now. I put the strike water in my boil kettle to heat it up to above strike temp and transfer that to the MLT (since HLT is full of water as mentioned above and I want to keep it that way for thermal mass). In the summer months I've found that the temp drops 5F to 10F when transferred from the boil kettle to the MLT, so keep in mind when heating your strike water that it should be probably ~10F above your initial strike temp (cooler months this differential will probably be greater - again, I'm in a garage). Then add grain and it will drop yet again to your mash temp per the equations. Kal moves some of his HLT water to the MLT in lieu of what I do (I don't for the reason mentioned above), but you can dial in anything with enough repetition. As they say in the Spike Brewing Youtube video there is a temperature lag between the HLT and MLT of about 3F-4F - I have found this to be generally accurate, but haven't completely yet gotten the hang of it.

10. Both Ebrewsupply (who makes the panel) and Spike Brewing have been extremely helpful. My water pump blue LED toggle came loose and I couldn't get it to engage, so Ryan at Ebrewsupply not only told me how to fix it, but sent me two new ones for free! He's the owner and answered the phone directly - so, that says something about service. One of the o-rings inside a push-to-connect fitting (see the spike brewing youtube video about the spike system if you don't know what these fittings are) broke - inevitable since o-rings don't last forever, so I called Spike Brewing and they sent me a bag of 18 of them for free! At this time the o-rings weren't on the website, but after my call they said they'd be putting them up there, so they should be available now.

11. Installing all the fittings to the kettles for the first time not only took an entire roll of teflon, but probably 4-5 hrs total (multiple nights after work). With my cleaning method above it has been extremely clean and I have not had to take the fittings apart at all yet (I probably will after about 10 brews... and I dread that day).

12. Every person I've shown this system to has become aroused (myself included). Well... maybe not my wife (she only focused on the $$ spent).

13. I mounted the pumps with Morebeer!'s pump brackets (https://www.morebeer.com/products/pump-mounting-bracket-stainless.html) and they are perfect for this (and look sexy with all the stainless). I first mounted them "horizontally" in the middle of the lower shelf of the table - by horizontally I mean the inlet and outlet of the pump are to the left and right of the center of the pump. This led to pooling of wort and water in the shelf, so I've moved the pumps and the brackets to the front of the lower shelf (so the inlet and outlet are hanging over the edge) and rotated the pump head so the inlet and outlet are in the "vertical" position - this has worked MUCH better. No pooling, bleeder valve is on the top for purging air, inlet on the bottom, outlet on the top. Spike Brewing shows a cool bracket mounted to the leg of the table - I couldn't find this one, so I didn't buy it and can't compare to it, but I do know that the lower the pumps are the better, so I think I prefer my method personally.

I'm sure there's more I've picked up on, but that's all I can think of for now. I'll post more as I learn and I hope others that have this system will contribute as well because it's a lot to learn coming from a gravity system (I would have killed to see this post or something like it before I made the plunge). Also, feel free to correct me if you've noticed something different in your experiences with it - I always want to learn more and I'm still a novice myself!!!

Hi all, I'm bringing back this thread because I've had this 20 gallon system for a few months now and have done 6 or 7 brews on it

I just wanted to say thank you for your thorough review/experience with the Spike Brew System.

I've been eyeing this thing for a while and your post is really the only non-biased review I can find.

Anyways, Ive decided to pull the trigger on a back-to-back 50A panel of their system based on your feedback. Cant wait to start brewing on this thing.

I'm coming from BIAB in my garage so this is going to be quite an adjustment.

Great feedback! Thank you for sharing. I too am considering the Spike 15gal system. I already use a lot of Spike equipment and I have someone who is interested in buying my current setup. If he does, that will pay for a good chunk of this. I also see they offer a payment plan which makes this even more interesting to do sooner than later. I also had questions about the expensive table figuring there has to be a cheaper yet still quality option out there.

Now, being new to electric brewing, do you have to put something under the kettles between the SS table and kettles?

I built my own version of the spike system with 30 gallon kettles. I ordered my stainless 72x24" table from webrestaurantsupply.com it was about 250 shipped all stainless rated to hold 900lb I bought some unistrut from Lowe's and reinforced the underside just to be safe. It doesn't even flex with all 3 kettles completely full. I also shortened the legs to make the kettles a more reachable height. For my panel I went with a custom 60a panel it's great being able to file multiple elements at a time for cleaning while I'm boiling. As for kettle insulation I ordered 3 large silicon pot holders to put under the kettle so that the table doesn't act as a huge heat sink. I brewed without them and felt the table, the entire table was hot. I'm sure it helped insulating the kettle from the table but I haven't checked if it reduced my heating time. My mash tun holds temperature better without a doubt.
IMG_20171018_133200_995.jpg
20171008_042331.jpg

Nice looking table and definitely a lot cheaper than the one from Spike. Did you try the table without your extra reinforcement? As for the pot holders, I've heard people using cork under kettles. Where did you get your silicone ones? I'm probably buying the 15 or 20 gallon spike version. I have 15 gallon kettles now and can't see myself brewing much more at a time. Hell, I still mostly do 5 gallon batches with an occasional 10 gallon batch.

I had the kettles sitting on it without the support and I thought it was sagging a little in the middle but it could have been in my head. I figured it was better to be safe. I think 15 or 20 gallon kettles would have been fine but with my 30 gallon I brew 20 gallon batches and clean during boil so 3 full kettles plus the added weight of hard piping I was worried would be too much.
The silicon pot holders came fro. EBay.. I think a paid $10 each they are also listed as silicon dish drying mats but they are rated up to 600+ degrees. They seem to work very well to insulate the kettle from the table.

Wow Drumminguy! Very impressive hard-plumbed set-up! Great idea about the pot holders (I didn't think about thermal loss). Also, how come you have a grant in your system (do you use self-priming pumps that create a suction in the bottom of the MLT)?

I thought I had posted this but I guess I got sidetracked. Here is my current setup. I look forward to upgrading to this new sweet Spike Brewing System.

011ff4dcff.jpg

Attachments

• New Stand 1280px.jpg
    New Stand 1280px.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 833
Thanks for the amazing review. Do you have pictures you could post? I just ordered the 20 gallon kettles and accessories (I'm building my controller from a kit from Kal).

Thanks!

Dan

Latest posts

Back