Spike brewing or SS Brewtech kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my spikes....the thicker metal will help for heat retention...I use it for my hot liquor tank and it works great. Also the dip tubes are much bigger on the spikes...it drains very quickly.

Another happy Spike customer. I bought the 15G kettle and added a FB in case I needed to use it also as a tun for big grain bills. I love the welded couplers and push to connect fittings for the dip tubes. I also like the FB design and the stepped kettle bottom. My only 'complaint' is I wished they had the hole for the FB dip tube close the side instead of dead center of the kettle bottom. That way the short stubby dip tube could be also used along with the FB acting as a hop filter during the boil (and eliminating my hop spider from the brewery). I like the silicon handles on the kettle and lid too (which my Bayou lacks).

Very happy with my Spike kettle and a purchase I don't regret. Sometimes I read it bedtime stories after an evening brew session. :D

I just received my spike 15g kettle. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I think I'm going to go for my first BIAB as a way to break it in. I did a test boil of a few gallons though and it seemed to retain the heat extremely well, to the point that the next day it was still significantly warmer than room temp.

One thing I like about my Spike is that they have 1/2 gallon markers. Seems trivial but...!

Can't remember is SS only has whole gallon marks only but perhaps something to consider. I wouldn't make this my top 5 of wants or needs but at least part of the list of pro/con.

Thought I would pop in here and add that the added thickness of the 304 stainless (1.2 mm) material we use in our BME line of kettles is to reduce the chances of warping during the welding and dish bottom forming processes.

There is no other practical reason to call out a thicker kettle material. I know some would like to think it holds up better, or heat retention is better, but thats just really not the case. It all comes down to fabrication!

Cheers,
Michael

I like my SS BK but I had to do the math to ease my curiosity. The results kind of surprised me!

Using the heat transfer equation:
q = k A dT / s

where:
q = heat transfer (W)
A = heat transfer area (m^2)
k = thermal conductivity of material (W/m C)
dT = temperature gradient - difference - in the material (C)
s = material thickness (m)

Using a 20gal SSBT for my math below are the variables:
20gal kettle - 21.3" H x 17.7"
Area - .95m^2
Temp 1 - 155F (68C)
Temp 2 - 65F (18C)
304SS heat transfer coef - 16 W/mC

1.0mm
q = (16W/mC)(.95m^2)(68C-18C)/.001m
=760kW

1.2mm
q = (16W/mC)(.95m^2)(68C-18C)/.0012m
=633kW

% Difference
=18% difference

That actually surprised me a bit. I would have guessed a much smaller difference. However I use my SS kettle as a BK with a burner so no worries there :ban: I hate being an engineer haha Just wasted 15mins doing a dumb calculation!! Time for a home brew :mug:

I like my SS BK but I had to do the math to ease my curiosity. The results kind of surprised me!

Using the heat transfer equation:
q = k A dT / s

where:
q = heat transfer (W)
A = heat transfer area (m^2)
k = thermal conductivity of material (W/m C)
dT = temperature gradient - difference - in the material (C)
s = material thickness (m)

Using a 20gal SSBT for my math below are the variables:
20gal kettle - 21.3" H x 17.7"
Area - .95m^2
Temp 1 - 155F (68C)
Temp 2 - 65F (18C)
304SS heat transfer coef - 16 W/mC

1.0mm
q = (16W/mC)(.95m^2)(68C-18C)/.001m
=760kW

1.2mm
q = (16W/mC)(.95m^2)(68C-18C)/.0012m
=633kW

% Difference
=18% difference

That actually surprised me a bit. I would have guessed a much smaller difference. However I use my SS kettle as a BK with a burner so no worries there :ban: I hate being an engineer haha Just wasted 15mins doing a dumb calculation!! Time for a home brew :mug:

From engineer to engineer, thank you for this. Spike's extra thickness is appealing to me, and the welded fitting really put me over the top. I'm having trouble deciding between it and a Blichmann for an electric kettle.

I just received my spike 15g kettle. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I think I'm going to go for my first BIAB as a way to break it in. I did a test boil of a few gallons though and it seemed to retain the heat extremely well, to the point that the next day it was still significantly warmer than room temp.

Along with the 15G Spike, I also have a 10G Bayou Classic and a 15G Concord (dimensions are 16"dia x 16"H). Various boil off losses I've noticed are.....

Bayou: 1G on 5 gallon batches
Concord: 2G on 10 gallon batches
Spike: 1.5G on 5 gallon batches, 1.25G on 10G batches.

Back